Check engine light on & trac light

Deidra42

Check engine light on & trac light

Unread post by Deidra42 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I have a 2005 Equinox AWD. Basic check engine light, check engine light with arrow and no traction light is on at same time. I find the only time this happens is when it's warm outside. Vehicle starts fine, but when the lights are on, it won't move. Any idea if this is a sensor, moisture or am I stuck getting a transmission for my SUV. Any information would be help.

protech

Re: Check engine light on & trac light

Unread post by protech » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Well it sounds like you have a pretty big issue going on. It does seem odd that the vehicle won't move when the check engine and other lights are on. If you have a transmission problem, you'd have the problem all the time. Hard to take a guess, but it really needs to get to a shop or dealer where a technician with a scanner can check things out. It may be something simple, you never know. The light with the arrow down is a low coolant warning, and that should have no effect on the vehicle not moving. You probably have a coolant leak that needs to get checked out, too.

Deidra42

Unread post by Deidra42 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Well lucky for me I work in a shop so had one of the techs scan it. Seems that there has been a few TSB's for my truck and if I want the problem to go away I have to start changing wiring. Seems that some of the contacts and such are getting moisture when the temps start to warm up here. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks when the temps go up again. I'm just thankful it's not a serious transmission problem with it being an AWD and not exactly a cheap fix.

protech

Unread post by protech » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Did they tell you what trouble codes came up? And what wiring needs to be changed? Warm weather doesn't necessarily mean 'moisture'. If that's the case, you should have this problem act up every time it rains, which would be more likely. If it's inside a 'warm' shop, they should be able to duplicate the problem if temperature is a cause. There just seems to be something missing here. Even when it does act up, just having the check engine light on, trac off light, etc, should NOT cause the vehicle to not move.

Deidra42

Unread post by Deidra42 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 pm

I have the 4 codes that popped up. This past weekend I parked my truck in the shop to get all the snow and ice build up off, and when I pulled out of the shop after being parked inside for 5 - 6 hours, again, all 3 lights came on. This time I was only stuck moving about 1 km/h for about 15 mins. After I shut off the vehicle and let it sit for a short bit, the only light on was the regular check engine light. The next day before having it brought back into the shop to have it scanned once again, the check engine went off. Having it scanned tomorrow and checking to see what codes were set off this time. If they are the same as always, I will be contemplating having whatever is needed get repaired. I can't imagine having this happen everytime it rains or gets damp outside.

protech

Unread post by protech » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:03 pm

So you actually drove for 15 minutes only going 1 km/h?? That sure wouldn't have gotten you far. And, can you reveal the 4 codes? That would help greatly in diagnosis.

Besos123

Unread post by Besos123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 pm

I have an equinox aswell 2005, it seems every time it rains my car engine light and a engine shape light with an arrow pointing down comes on and my car will go backwards and not forward..... I'm actually dealing with this situation today the car doesnt want to pull and if it pulls a little bit in L2 it turns off!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 pm

you should have the vehicle scanned and probably by a tranny shop
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Xokissisxo

Unread post by Xokissisxo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:14 pm

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM EVERYTIME IT RAINS THE SAME 3 LIGHTS COME ON MY DASH and I CAN'T MOVE FORWARD JUST BACK AND MY DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR GETS SOAKED I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR MY WARRANTY IS UP SOON BUT NOBODY CAN SEEM TO FIND THE EXACT PROBLEM OR HOW TO FIX IT, did you fix your car and please tell me how