battery bought without permission

pegasusprints

battery bought without permission

Unread post by pegasusprints » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I have my 1994 Chevy Blazer up for sale. I also needed to move the vehicle to a location immediately as the time ran out on it for the location it was originally at. An couple who are interested in purchasing the vehicle offered to buy it and have it moved to their house while the contract for payments were going to be drawn up. I did give them the keys ( I have worked with the wife for about 7 years and trust her). In the process of looking it over, they decided not to buy the blazer as it had too many issues for them at the time.
But my problem is it needed a new battery (even though I had driven it over to their house) as they said it wouldn't keep the charge. They purchased the battery without my knowledge or permission. So when they said they were not interested, they dropped the bomb on me about them purchasing the battery.
When I emailed them to ask for my keys back so I can move the vehicle to a different location, they want their $110 that they spent on the battery.
How do I handle this situation?
They did this out of their own idea, without permission from me first.
I do value the friendship, but I feel I have been placed in a very awkward position.
How do I resolve this?

ProTech

Re: battery bought without permission

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Take the battery out of the truck and give it back to them. You didn't buy it, or want them to buy it for you. They did it on their own, and if they don't want to give it to you so you can take the Blazer away, then just have them remove the battery and give you the keys to YOUR vehicle. You're not responsible for anyone purchasing parts on their own.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

pegasusprints

Unread post by pegasusprints » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 am

The problem is, they took my old battery and traded it in.
I was able to start the truck with the old battery. If I give them back the new one, then I won't have any battery left, as they got rid of my origonal without permission.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

Well I don't really know what to tell you. They did it on their own and then decide not to buy the vehicle, it should be their loss. Since they seem to be putting up a stink about it, you either pay them for the battery, or buy a new one yourself. You don't want to end up in small claims court over $110. It's just not worth it. If they won't give it up, just take the hit and get a new battery or pay for theirs.

We're not really here for legal advice, just car repairs. Hope it works out for you.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+