1996 Chevy blazer headlights turn off

nicrat

1996 Chevy blazer headlights turn off

Unread post by nicrat » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm

i Have a 1996 blazer and as i was on the way home from work. stop and waiting for a train to pass my headligths turn off and back on a few seconds later then it happen again as i was parking at home what can i do for trouble shotting this

ProTech

Re: 1996 Chevy blazer headlights turn off

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Most likely you have a faulty headlamp switch, but you may want to check some other things first. Just starting with the basics, we always recommend just making sure all the bulbs are good. Also, while checking the bulbs, take a look at the connectors and check for any corrosion or burnt terminals.

If you've got any aftermarket items wired into those circuits, for example fog lights or something, that can be a cause of trouble as well. The same goes for aftermarket alarms, too, since they usually flash the lights.

If all the basics check out ok, I would probably go ahead and recommend changing the headlamp switch. You might want to try to remove it and check it's connector as well for any burnt terminals or corrosion. Give it a tap or two to see if the headlights flicker and you'll know that's the problem, but it may not give any clues and still be bad.

The last thing, although doubtful, would be the high beam dimmer switch in the steering column. That's a long shot, but you never know.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+