2000 Chevy S-10 wont start when cold

Fussomatic

2000 Chevy S-10 wont start when cold

Unread post by Fussomatic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 pm

I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 w/a 2.2 efi 4 cyl. Truck runs great, but lately when I try to start it in the morning, when it is cold...35 degrees or colder, truck turns over fine but just wont fire! When it warms up outside she stars right up! Also my fuel gauge has been acting eradically lately. Gauge intermittenly drops down to E even when the fuel tank is full. Not sure if these 2 issues are related. The "no start" thing only seems to occur when its cold. Any feedback on my chevy s-10 truck is greatly appreciated. Dont want to waste $ buying uneeded parts!!

Glmgor

Re: 2000 S-10 wont start when cold

Unread post by Glmgor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:13 am

Sounds like you have got low pressure. Can be just a plugged fuel filter, but most likely a failing fuel pump. These are quite common. You would need a fuel gauge on the engine to confirm this. Anything less that 55 PSI- the truck will not start. Cycling the key several times before cranking will somtimes cause the pressure to build high enough for it to start. Or spray some stater fluid in the throat when it wont start to see if it fires right up. The fuel gauge is always the level sensor in the tank. It is connected to the fuel pump module assembly. just replace the whole unit and both problems will be fixed.

fussomatic

Unread post by fussomatic » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:39 am

Yeah thats kinda what I was leaning towards. Gonna barrow my buddies pres. gauge today to be sure. I'll let ya know what I come up with. Thanks for the reply.

fussomatic

Unread post by fussomatic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am

Ok, so heres an update. Its not the fuel pump. When its cold I get no spark at the plugs. (used a spark tester) If the dash and exterior lights go out when I engage the starter, it wont start. If I keep bumping the starter til I see the lights stay on...it fires up. So I'm thinkin coil pack, or ICM. Could a bad coil be drawing too much juice and messing with the ICM?? I dont get much time to troubleshoot cause I go to work and come home in the dark!! And it only does it when its really cold out!! Also, my battery is smaller than stock, but it has no problem turning the engine over. I even hooked up a charger just to rule that out. Even on 50A start the same symptoms persist. Please help!! Thanks again

BenjaminMWarren

Re: 2000 Chevy S-10 wont start when cold

Unread post by BenjaminMWarren » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm

I am having the same problem with my 2000 S10, starting to lean to a ignition switch from the key. have done Battery, alternator, cam position sensor, Coil packs, plugs, wires, fuel pump and tank, fuel filter. and just ordered an ECM. I don't know what else it could be.

carriedi

Re: 2000 Chevy S-10 wont start when cold

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 am

If you don't have spark when cranking check the ECM1 fuse while you are cranking. Have someone crank the engine over and use a test light to see if you have battery voltage on the ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse box. That is the power from the ignition switch to the ignition control module and also the fuel injectors. So, if you are cranking the engine and don't have power at this fuse then I would look at the ignition switch. If you do have power on this fuse then the ignition switch for this part of the starting to the engine is okay
Attachments
s10 ignition.jpg
s10 ignition.jpg (100.36 KiB) Viewed 12014 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.