Right front bounces

RonTvdL

Right front bounces

Unread post by RonTvdL » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:32 am

New to this forum so hello! first of all and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I have a 2004 chevy avalanche 1500 and lately I have noticed that driving over bumps makes the passenger side front bounces and shake. It occurs mainly on highways at higher speeds 50 and up but also of the bump is deep enough on low speeds.

What could it be?

carriedi

Re: Right front bounces

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:52 am

where do you feel the bounce at? does it show up in the steering wheel? does the dash shake? does the hood or fender shake? Is you bounce an actual bounce where the car actually is moving up and down that you can see? Like float up and down? Or violently shake? Vibrate that you can feel but you don't see anything actually moving?

there is a couple things, when you say bounces at higher speeds 50 and over... I hope you mean vibration. Bouncing at over 50 miles an hour is going to cause a wreck. So, I hope you mean a vibration or a wobble. Bounce means the whole car is moving up and down. If the vehicle is bouncing up and down at 50 miles an hour and up it would be very very bad for the vehicle.

If you have a vibration around 50-60 miles an hour I would check your wheel balance. An out of balance tire and wheel has a harmonic thing that pops up around that speed. That normally shows up with speed but if it's really bad a bump could start it going too.

wobble when you hit a bump is usually a bad front end part. tie rod, ball joint, wheel bearing, control arm bushing. Have a good alignment shop check out your front end.

best thing to do would be to take it to a tire shop and have them go for a ride with you so they can feel it and point you in a direction to search for the cause. Doesn't have to be a mechanic. Even an experienced tire salesman has seen this kind of thing before. Or if they haven't then they can ask their mechanic to check it out.

RonTvdL

Unread post by RonTvdL » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Dash vibrates when it happens and it feels like its comings from the passenger side front suspension or wheel. Truck has been aligned recently. Bounce is maybe not the right word for it. It feels like a shake.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 pm

If it feels like a vibration I would have them check your wheel balance. Wheel balance is different from alignment. Alignment is the position of the steering angles that can be adjusted. Wheel balance is taking off the tires and putting them on a wheel balancer. They work best by being dynamically balanced. They should also look for cupping while they do the balance.

If the wheel balance turns out to be good, then I would look at the axles. Bad inner joint or bent. If they did an alignment they should have checked the front end out and made sure everything was tight so that should be okay. But, how long is "recent" suspension parts can go bad at anytime. Play is a tie rod end can cause a shake when you hit a bump.

Just from your description though, I would have the tires balanced and then test drive to see if it's gone