battey and alternator good but battery won't stay charged???

beamon

battey and alternator good but battery won't stay charged???

Unread post by beamon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:43 pm

I have a 1998 astro van my battery and alternator are good but my battery dies when I step on the gas and my headlights flash and make a clicking noise and then go off help please any ideas.

TerryAuto

Re: battey and alternator good but battery won't stay charge

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Does the van die out? Does it start right back up after that?

beamon

Unread post by beamon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:00 pm

No it runs but the lights flash on and off and it makes a noise like the starter is dragging I didn't try to drive it yet because when it happened it did die but then it did start right back up the battery light comes on and when the lights flash it clicks too

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Sounds like you have a bad ground wire or bad wiring connection. That would cause the lights to flicker and can cause it to stall out.
Check that the battery cables are clean and tight. Next, start the van and grab a hold of wiring harnesses to see if you can cause the condition. This would tell you the area to concentrate on to look for a poor connection or bad ground.

beamon

Unread post by beamon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Found out that my starter was bad burned a hole in the old one put new one on and it was smelling burned that one out too cary was only running for 5 min any ideas was could be causing that and did clean and check battery wires they are good please help I need to get to work

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:35 pm

where did it burn a hole in your starter? Does your starter keep running even though you release the key from the start position? You may have a bad neutral safety switch (NSS) allowing voltage to the starter. check your wire to the starter solenoid to see if it has power ONLY in the start position. The power may go through the neutral safety switch but when you turn your key off the power through the NSS may get turned off so the starter will turn off with the key. Has the starter turned when you turned the key to the run position without actually going to the start position?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.