Chevy Astro Van Engine Died

Darlin9694

won't start

Unread post by Darlin9694 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:47 am

We have a 1985 Chev Astro Van. My husband let it ran out of gas several times within a 1 week period. The last time he ran out of gas, he put 2 or 3 gallons of gas in it, started it up and drove it home and shut it off. When he went back out to start it, it would not start. He then primed the carburetor and it started..it would run as long as he was putting gas in the carburetor but when he stopped it would die and wouldn't start on it's own. He is thinking he burned up the fuel pump which is located inside the fuel tank but before he does all the work of dropping the fuel tank and buying a new fuel pump..we wanted to make sure that was probably the source of the problem.

Mundolost

Re: won't start

Unread post by Mundolost » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 am

Yes, this definitely sounds like the fuel pump is bad. Only way to be sure would be to put a fuel pressure gauge in the system to see if there is any pressure or if it is low. Removing the fuel tank on this truck can be quite difficult because of the its age and all the rust you're going to have to deal with. You will probably end up breaking or having to cut off the gas tank straps. Also the nuts in the frame that the straps bolt to will probably have to be replaced because when you put a socket on the bolt it will probably strip out the nuts.

orpheus

Chevy Astro Van Engine Died

Unread post by orpheus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Was driving down road and engine quit. I have power to dash and instruments. I checked for spark and spark is good. I think it is something electrical but I don't know where to start. Have any advice? Thank you

TerryAuto

Re: Chevy Astro Van Engine Died

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Well, if you have spark and the van still wont start, then that means no fuel. You beed to get the fuel pressure checked. The fuel pump may have gone bad.

Or you can lay under the van and have somone turn the key to ON, not crank, ans listen for the pump to hum in the gas tank for 2-3 seconds. If not, pound on the bottom of the tank. Sometimes this will free up a stuck pump for a little while. If you do hear the hum, then you need to check for proper pressure. Just because it runs does not mean the pressure is high enough.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

bjthemechanic

2000 astro not pulsating ground at injectors

Unread post by bjthemechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 pm

My Chevrolet Astro van has no power to the fuel injectors, how do I repair this issue?

TerryAuto

Re: 2000 astro not pulsating ground at injectors

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm

The PCM controls ground to the injectors. You would need to check for continutiy between the injector connector and the PCM. If that is OK, then you would have to check for the PCM actually grounding the circuit at the PCM. If not, sounds like a bad computer.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.