2003 Astro van transfer case chatter

r tasker

2003 Astro van transfer case chatter

Unread post by r tasker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm

mY ASTRO van has a chatter when turning .....It seems to be similar to posi...however it can also be from the transfer case as it is an all wheel drive. Is there an addative as in posi

Meccboy

Re: 2003 Astro van transfer case chatter

Unread post by Meccboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 am

A common condition of the transfer case making a noise, chatter, or hopping is dirty fluid.
There is a new fluid that corrects this. Remove the lower plug to see the color and condition of the fluid. If it is reddish this is the old fluid. Need to replace it with new blue fluid. If it is red or blue but is dark or smells burned, do the same and flush with the new blue fluid.
Then drive around for 1/2 hour, the flush again.
Next, give it 100 miles or so and see if condition is fixed.

poul

Unread post by poul » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm

r tasker wrote :
> mY ASTRO van has a chatter when turning .....It seems to be similar to
> posi...however it can also be from the transfer case as it is an all wheel
> drive. Is there an addative as in posi
agot fail code in my astro van is po455 what that mine

protech

Unread post by protech » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 pm

The code P0455 is an Evaporative Emission Large Leak Detected. This means the EVAP system cannot hold a seal when it's supposed to. Usually this is due to a bad gas cap, or the gas cap being left off. The EVAP Vent Solenoid is another item that causes this code if it fails. The best way to check the EVAP system is to use the proper machine that attaches to the system and fills it with either nitrogen or smoke. Then leaks are checked and bad components are replaced. You'd probably have to take it to a dealer to get this checked properly.