4.3 timing

Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Trailblazer to the Equinox, Blazer and Venture Van.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevy truck questions now.
cblackburn24

car dying ng

Unread post by cblackburn24 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:30 pm

I have a 2004 Chevy tracker sometimes the batt light comes on but when I rev it up it goes out now a week later it died headlights started flashing the batt light on for a jump drove it home n park it till the next day n then drove it 35 miles to work ran fine

carriedi

Re: car dying ng

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 am

before you do anything you should have your battery and charging system checked. capacitive resistance and load test. charging voltage and max amp test. (load the alternator to the max amperage output at 2000 rpm. see if it matches the alt rated output)

check your battery connections and grounds. you may have to wait and try to check the battery and charging system when you have the light come back on but something should show up on the loaded tests

Joshp

driver side headlights dont work. wiring problem i think

Unread post by Joshp » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 pm

I have a problem with my driver side headlights on my 2001 Silverado 1500. They have quit working. I got to checking the plugs with a test light and what I have found is that when my headlights are on dim the drivers side only the high beam has power and nothing on the low side. When I turn the high beams on there's power on the low side and not the high side. The plugs for the headlights are specific so I cant plug a low beam headlight into a high beam plug. Any help on this would be grateful and thanks.

carriedi

Re: driver side headlights dont work. wiring problem i think

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:20 pm

I don't understand what you trying to say. the high and low beam light both get power from the orange wire. The orange wire comes from the headlight fuse. There are two fuses. A left headlight fuse and a right headlight fuse. Both fuses are turned on with the headlight relay. The fuses and relay are all in the underhood fuse box. In order to check the plug in for the headlight (low or high) you should unplug the headlight connector. Both high and low beam have an orange wire. that should be battery power if the headlight circuit is on. The low beam grounds through the yellow wire. the high beam grounds through the purple wire. The problem on reading the wires with a test light is that the ground wires for headlight connects with the other side headlight. So if the orange wire does not have power check your fuse. When you go to check the ground side, if the headlight is on (the passenger side) it will show power coming from the passenger headlight because they share the same ground circuit. I don't know if I am explaining it so you understand.

1. check to see if you have battery voltage (+) on the orange wire with the headlight unplugged. If not, check your HDLP fuse.

claforte

1994 chevy c 1500 4.3l vortex

Unread post by claforte » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Starts and runs fine, then gets real choppy backfires through the tbi no power hesitates, changed the tbi base gasket, tps, checked for vacuum leaks coolant temp sensor for gauge and pcm, thermostat and gasket, and fuel filter

carriedi

Re: 1994 chevy c 1500 4.3l vortex

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm

what is your fuel pressure

jloper68

2006 Chevy Uplander Wont Start

Unread post by jloper68 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm

have a 2006 chevy uplander that we replaced the alternator in and now it wont start. We replaced the fuel pump because it was not turning on and that was not the problem, it is not getting power to the fuel pump and we know this because it works with a jumper wire in the fuse box. All fuses, relays and grounds look good and scan tool gives us a code of P0230. Any ideas what this could be?

carriedi

Re: 2006 Chevy Uplander Wont Start

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 am

did you disconnect the battery ground cable before you worked on the alternator?

before you replace a fuel pump that you think may not be working you should always check to see if the power and grounds are good and it's getting power during the 2 second prime when you cycle the key to the run position. Just feel the fuel pomp relay and feel if it clicks when you cycle the key. If you can hear and feel it click on and then off, you know if the computer is sending a signal to turn on the pump relay.
what are you jumping to make the fuel pump come on? does the fuel pump fuse (FUEL PUMP FUSE 2) have battery voltage all the time? (the under hood fuse box) It is supposed to have battery voltage all the time. It is the fuse for the fuel pump relay. If that fuse doesn't have power then there probably is no power to to the PWR/TRN relay of the IGN MAIN relay either because they all use the same circuit power.(on the 3.9L engine)

Hook up a scanner that can see if there is a code stored or can graph the data stream and see if the computer is working normally.

4.3 timing

Unread post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:54 am

have 2003 astro van intermittent start problem runs great mech said timing gear was installed 180 degrees out marks dont line up said motor was gone yet viecle runs great . Want to get new timing chain installed and fix this so lines up.

carriedi

Re: 4.3 timing

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:53 pm

not sure what you mean 180 degrees out. the cam gear moves once for every two times of the crank gear. So if you look at the timing marks - one revolution they line up - the next revolution they will be 180 out. Is there a problem? The piston TDC is the same for compression and for exhaust. The cam makes the difference between compression or exhaust.

Tell me about your intermittent start problem. What happens when you have the no start?