Dash crack repair

Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Trailblazer to the Equinox, Blazer and Venture Van.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevy truck questions now.

Dash crack repair

Unread post by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 pm

How do I fix a crack coming up the drivers side hump & another larger crack across the width of My 09 Tahoe truck?

carriedi

Re: Dash crack repair

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:48 pm

that's a tough one. Nothing you do to fix the crack will last until you find out why it's cracking. If it's a stress crack you will need to find out what is causing the stress. Is the mounting bolts not tight and the dash is sagging? Hes the truck ever been in an accident and the dash mounts tweaked a little bit. Or is the dash plastic just old and brittle? The crack the is coming up by the hump sounds like a stress crack. The crack going across the dash could be from stress or just age. There are compounds that are made for dash repairs. and there is plastic welding repairs. But no repair will be as strong as the original material.Maybe if you were able to bolt something across where the crack to help hold it together it could add more time to the repair.

there are videos on youtube on how to repair plastic dashes. They all entail a lot of time and elbow grease (labor, not real grease) Sanding and smoothing, then painting... Just do a search for "plastic dash repair". Most of the time they will say to remove the dash to do the repair. If you do that, you might want to price out a new (aftermarket if new is no longer available) or used dash unit that isn't cracked and replace it.

I know it probably irritates you like crazy to see it like that but it might be so much work that you will just leave it until you get a new truck. Now I say that because I am old and don't like doing stuff like that anymore but I used to go a go getter and would do that kind of stuff on my vehicles all the time. So, if you are like how I was, 1. start taking the dash apart (if you have another vehicle to drive around). If you don't think it is something you can handle, 2. take it to a shop and get an estimate. 3. It ain't so bad and live with it. Let me know what you're gonna do.

labor time to remove and re-install a dash unit is 7.2 hours. Includes R&I upper instrument panel and console.

Now' if it is one of the panels that attaches to the dash, that would save a lot of time.
Attachments
tahoe dash.jpg