my chevy truck is totaly dead but battery is good

Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Trailblazer to the Equinox, Blazer and Venture Van.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevy truck questions now.
spankygirl

my chevy truck is totaly dead but battery is good

Unread post by spankygirl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 pm

i own a 1990 chevy scottsdale 1500 4.3 liter pickup after driving to the store i turned the truck off like normal when i went to start my truck to go home there was nothing no clicking noise starter would would not work lights did not work no horn no blinkers no headlights no dome light. as i checked the positive cable for tightness i noticed sparks coming from the 2 wires that go to the starter were arcking on the exhaust manifold so i pushed the wires around and taped them so that they werent touching anything i got a jumpstart from AAA still nothing at all. nothing at all works the tow truck driver thought i might have burned out what he called the main circuit breaker my question is where would the main circuit breaker be located i saw a picture of one from advance auto parts but cant find anything like it at the fuse box or under the hood could that be my problem or something else any help would be greatly apppreiciated thank you

TerryAuto

Re: my chevy truck is totaly dead but battery is good

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 pm

With the large positive cable arching on the exaust, that may have shorted out the battery. A battery can be shorted internally where a jump start will do no good.

I would first get the battery tested, or even swap it out with another one. This may be your only problem since you have no power to anything.

If that checks out, then check ALL fuses. A straight dead short to ground could have burned out many fuses, modules, relays, etc.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

bamagirl

1995 chevy truck wont turn over

Unread post by bamagirl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 am

My truck will turn over but acts like it ant getting any fire, what is wrong?

carriedi

Re: 1995 chevy truck wont turn over

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:53 pm

out of gas? No fuel pressure, no spark? no injector pulse?

what model is your truck? S10, C/K series? what motor? 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 6.5L diesel...

take the coil wire out of the to of the distributor and place it a good ground and have someone crank the engine over. Do you get a good and consistent spark? If not we might be looking for a distributor or coil problem. Make sure with the key on and also in the cranking position that you have power to the + side of the coil.

If spark out of the coil wire looks good, plug it back into the cap and pull a spark plug wire off and do the same thing. the spark should do the same thing but with an 8 times linger space between the spark times. If you don't have a good spark there then you need to look at a cap or rotor problem. If the spark is good there then go to the fuel system next.

with the air cleaner removed have someone crank the engine over and watch the spray pattern of the throttle body injectors. (you could also do this when you were checking for spark but keep the wires that are sparking far away from the throttle area so as to not start a fire) Are both injectors spraying a good full cone of fuel? (the injectors should both spray a cone of fuel that starts from the injector and spreads out to cover most of the throttle plate opening) If you don't see any fuel check for fuel pressure. If you have only one spraying you may have a bad injector, injector wiring or injector driver problem. further diag would be needed. If fuel and pattern look good and strong maybe the truck is flooded. Crank the engine over with the gas pedal all the way down to shut off fuel (clear flood) and see if you can get it started.

it goes on and on from there but those things would be the first things to see what is happening to you truck. well, unless you have a diesel...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.