Pontiac Transport Speedometer Problems

Boris

Pontiac Transport Speedometer Problems

Unread post by Boris » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 pm

1997 Pontiac Transport 3.4 l has problem that speedometer goes to zero, and transmission don't want to shift from 1st gear. After 5-6 miles of driving in 1st gear 3-3,500 rpm, speedometer start to work normally, and trany shifts normally. What can be problem and how to fix it. Please.
Thanks.

TerryAuto

Re: HELP!

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Sounds like a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) problem.
Either the sensor is bad, or the connector has a problem, or the wiring is rubbing on the passenger side axle.
The sensor is on the final drive unit of the trans. The end of the trans. The housing where the passenger side acle comes out of.
From under van, or through the wheel well, the sensor has a two wire sonnector on it. Unplug it and make sure the terminal are not bent, and give a little tug on the wires to make sure thay dont stretch from the connector. If they do, a wire is bloken and nees to be repaired. Also follow that harness up toward the top of the trans where a clipmhld it on. Remove the blaxk platic covering and make sure wires not broen ther.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

williamc66

pontiac Transport mini van 1994 v6 3.8

Unread post by williamc66 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

several question. Turn signal stop blinking what could it possibily be? I check fuses, and bought new flasher still not blinking when i signal to turn. when driving i notice when going up hill it seens to have play in the gas paddle, like it loosing power, when i level it out on flat service the power comes back. i thought i got a hold to some bad gas i switch to un leaded plus and added gas treatment and still having problem.

ProTech

Re: pontiac Transport mini van 1994 v6 3.8

Unread post by ProTech » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:29 pm

For the turn signal problem, you should first check and make sure all the bulbs are good. If so, check to be positive you replaced the correct flasher, as the hazard flasher is the same design and easily mistaken for the regular turn signal flasher. If neither of those is the issue, I would suspect a faulty turn signal switch, which would require the steering column to be partially taken apart to be replaced.

As for the lacking power problem, you could be facing an issue like a fuel pump that not quite putting out the correct pressure. When the engine is under more of a load, such as going up a hill, it can cause it to hesitate some. Other things that can causes issues like this are a clogged catalytic converter, clogged fuel injectors, faulty ignition system or computer sensor. If the check engine light is on as a result of this problem, you should get it scanned to see what the issue is. If not, you would have to start with basics like checking fuel pressure, making sure the air filter and/or fuel filter are not clogged, etc.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+