2003 Pontiac Montana O2 sensor removal

thoric

2003 Pontiac Montana O2 sensor removal

Unread post by thoric » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:33 am

Does anyone have any advice on how to get an O2 sensor out. I have to change Block 1 Sensor 1 on my Montana. I purchased the O2 socket and am able to reach the sensor from underneath, but where it is I am having to do everything by feel. I know it is possible to do it but it is so seized tight that I can not get it off and I just jam up the socket, I can't even get a ratchet on the end of the socket because of how close the sensor is to the fire wall. I was able to get an adjustable wrench on the side of the socket but not enough room to get a good torque on the wrench. While doing this I actually ended up snapping the break line that runs beside the sensor and feeds fluid to both sides. Any suggestions??

carriedi

Re: 2003 Pontiac Montana O2 sensor removal

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 am

I think I have about a dozen different O2 sensor tools. some are sockets for a ratchet, some are wrenches, some are sockets that work with air hammers. Sometimes with all that, you get some that are just stuck. Rusted and threads basically welded together with the sensor. You may need a torch or a mini-inductor to heat up the sensor to remove it. There is a possibility that the threads may come out with the sensor. You might see if it would be easier to remove the exhaust from the car and get at the sensor. Or take it to a shop and have them remove it for you.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

thoric

Re: 2003 Pontiac Montana O2 sensor removal

Unread post by thoric » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:36 am

I sent it in to my mechanic that I use when I can't do the job myself. Only had to pay for the brake line and labor. Didn't want to pay anyone for labor but I had no choice at that point. The boss needs her vehicle.