2006 Chevy Impala won't start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Karry

2006 Chevy Impala won't start

Unread post by Karry » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:58 pm

Chipped key for the car will not start the car anti-theft indicator off check engine light airbag lights on not flashing when attempted to start you get one click there's power to the radio windows and headlights the power to the battery reads like 13 right now we unplug the battery doing the 30-minute wait and seeing if it resets the CPU to see if the car will start story is I locked my vehicle went into 7-Eleven I came out use the key to unlock my door guardian we just started one click cars doing nothing else I look over to the right my passenger door is unlocked I believe somebody attempted to steal my vehicle and the anti-theft was engaged and yet there's no indicator on the dashboard there's nothing wrong with the key I've had this car for a year I also I forgot I also tried to jump start it and that didn't work either

carriedi

Re: 2006 Chevy Impala won't start

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:46 pm

"attempted to start you get one click" what does one "click" mean? Are you saying that the starter solenoid give one click? (could be that the solenoid is pulled down but the starter contacts do not make a good connection.

If it's possible, you should run a wire to your starter solenoid, to a test light and see what the signal to your starter is doing. It's possible that the starter is the problem. Depending on accessibility, tapping on the starter while trying to start the car could make the starter release and start up. (that would be after you verify that the starter solenoid is getting the correct signal from the ignition switch)

when you put your ignition switch in the start position it sends a signal to the body control module (BCM). The BCM sends a signal to the engine control module (ECM). the ECM sends a signal to the starter relay in the underhood relay box by the right strut tower. And the relay sends the signal to the starter solenoid on the purple wire from the relay.

So, you have quite a few things that control the signal to the starter solenoid. If, while you have a test light hooked to the purple starter wire or at the starter solenoid terminal, see what the light tells you about the power to the solenoid. Does it turn on at all when you put the key in the start position? (if not you have to trace the starter circuits to see where you lost the starter circuit) Does it show power to the solenoid and then shut off right away? (then you have to check the BCM, ECM for security issues) Does it show power to the solenoid but after the click of the solenoid nothing else happens? Then you need to look at the starter for problems.

Without hearing the type of click you are talking about it is hard to know where exactly to look. But if everything else is looking normal and the security light is not on, I would suspect the starter first. I have a tool that replaces the starter relay and it lets me bypass everything and put power right to the solenoid to check the starter side of the circuit. Quick and easy, pull the relay push the switch and see if the starter cranks over or not. Once that part tells me what happens I go from there. If the starter cranks until I turn the relay off then the starter side is good. If then the key works normally then it could be a bad spot on the starter and will probably happen again later on. If the starter does not work with the key after the relay bypass showed that the starter did work I would use a scanner and look at the security system to see if there is a problem and go from there.

I know this is a log drawn out post but there are many things that could be the problem here. I hope I didn't make thing too complicated but I would check the basics first. The signal at the starter. That would give you the best clue on what is happening and where to go from there.

Let me know what you find out and I can go on from there.