Installing new cylinder heads on 2001 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 Vin code E. Are they just bolt down and go?

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.

Installing new cylinder heads on 2001 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 Vin code E. Are they just bolt down and go?

Unread post by Guest » Sun May 09, 2021 9:23 am

When I get ready to put new cylinder heads on my 2001 Chevrolet Impala. VIN code E. Are there any specific steps to installing the new heads or are they just bolt on the car and torque to spec's. I'd really would like to know since I just replaced from the total rack and pinion pump and lines steering and suspension, crank and cam sensors, other sensors, timing chain kit, water pump and all new hoses and fan assembly and then everything for a major tune up, also cv axles transmission fluid and filter with new breaking system. At this point I don't need to learn that this is done a different way. Thanks

carriedi

Re: Installing new cylinder heads on 2001 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 Vin code E. Are they just bolt down and go?

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 am

the torque specs have a revision. the revision says to replace with new head bolts. (common becuase the bolts are torque to yield) Torque the new head bolts to 60 Nm (44 ftlb) Once they are all torqued to spec, using a torque angle meter, rotate the bolts an additional 95 degrees.

since you are asking about torque specs I thought I might mention that the intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths. Make sure you put them in the correct order or you could damage the engine you put so much work into.
For pushrod locations and specs. see this link... https://www.greatautohelp.com/pontiacan ... wer32.html
Attachments
head bolt torque sequence.jpg