Monte Carlo SS Knocking Overheated

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Terryb

Monte Carlo SS Knocking Overheated

Unread post by Terryb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Hello I have a question I bought a used 3.8L for my Chevy Monte Carlo SS and only put 800 miles on it before it started knocking so I called were I
bought it and was told I must have overheated the motor which it never did. So he told me to send it back so he can check ti see if the heat taps
were melted. And if so then the motor over heated. My question is did the 3.8 come with heat taps in the heads so they will melt if the motor gets over 250 degrees.so I looked all over the motor and can not find any heat tabs any were. So if some one could please let me know if it did come with them are they only put in a rebuilt and new motor so it can be warranty out. Thanks for any help you can give me.

carriedi

Re: Monte Carlo SS Knocking Overheated

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:17 am

the overheat tabs for gasoline motors usually melt at 260 degrees F.They don't come on new factory motors but many rebuilders and/or used motor sellers will install them to protect themselves against warranty claims. Most companies put at least 4 tabs on a motor. on the head and on the side of the block. They should look like a small button glued to the motor.
Attachments
heat tabs.jpg
heat tabs.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 17664 times