1997 5spd chevy cavalier

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
UrlastRight

1997 5spd chevy cavalier

Unread post by UrlastRight » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm

i jsut need to know something i bought i 97 cavalier 5 spd 2.2 L the tranny was suppose to be locked up when i went ot get the car it was locked in gear so i played with it and eventually it came loose so i checked oil all that drove it like a 1 mile to were i live at was looking at the tranny and see there was no bolt ontop the tranny stuck somethin in there to check for gear oil and it was empty so put oil in it and shifts just fine know runs great it was popping out of 5th gear now it isnt you think that could been why it was locked in gear been driving the car up the road for a few days and it hasnt had any problems ithe throw out bearing was making some noises but i think maybe it was because it has sit for 15 months is there anything i can do to make it road ready it was only droven few times

willwildy

Re: 1997 5spd chevy cavalier

Unread post by willwildy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 am

Yep, no oil can make things stick allright. Hope you put a plug in after you topped off the oil.

IF it is working fine run it till it breaks. No one rebuilds a manual transmission anymore so you aren't gonna hurt anything by running it.

Bill
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE

doug

1997 Cavalier Rattling Noise

Unread post by doug » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:36 pm

I have a 1997 cavalier it makes rattling I've. Change the water pump and tension pulley and it still rattling

ProTech

Re: 1997 Cavalier Rattling Noise

Unread post by ProTech » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Normally, the most common thing to make a rattling, tinging noise...if it's coming from the front of the engine is the air conditioning compressor. The clutch on the front of the compressor tends to make a rattle type noise, due to age, rust, and just loosening up over time. Other things that can make the same type of noise are a rusted, loose exhaust or flex pipe...an item hitting the floorpan or firewall, loose drivetrain mount or suspension component.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

doug

Unread post by doug » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 am

ProTech wrote:
> Normally, the most common thing to make a rattling, tinging noise...if it's
> coming from the front of the engine is the air conditioning compressor. The
> clutch on the front of the compressor tends to make a rattle type noise,
> due to age, rust, and just loosening up over time. Other things that can
> make the same type of noise are a rusted, loose exhaust or flex pipe...an
> item hitting the floorpan or firewall, loose drivetrain mount or suspension
> component.
No it comes form the side of the engine where the pulleys are

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 am

It sounds like the timing chain is hitting the front cover. That is another common problem on the Cavalier. The chain stretches over time and becomes loose. You will need to replace the timing chain to fix this.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+