06 impala 3.5

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Jeremy

06 impala 3.5

Unread post by Jeremy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 pm

My 06, impala 3.5 just died going down the road the key does nothing the dash lights don't come on can't roll up the window. And the scan tool I plug into the UBD2 linking error. Under the hood I found a blown ECM 10 amp fuse replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking maybe my ECM needs replaced but of course I want to confirm before I spend the money with someone smarter than me. Thanks for what ever help you can give

carriedi

Re: 06 impala 3.5

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:02 am

doubling up on the posts? ecm/tcm 15 amp fuse powers up the engine and trans control modules. They make tools that you put in place of the blown fuse and can check the amp draw. you could measure the amps that are flowing through that circuit.

If the fuse doesn't blow, after replacing the fuse, check the powers and grounds for the ecm and tcm modules to see if they are both powering up or not
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Blueprint526

Unread post by Blueprint526 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 am

I’m new to this and I can’t make a new topic.

I have. A 2010 impala l. 3.5 ls. What I have going on is when I first start the car I have no symptoms. The car drives perfect. About 10 to 15mins in when I approach a stop of any kind. I notice my speed o meter some what irractic. It goes up and down on its own and will shut off then and there with in 5 second tops. I also pu my digital speedometer display and it will say 112 mph( while I’m at a complete stop on drive). The trick I have working for me is coming to a stop I put the car on neutral, in which the car won’t shut off but still do the up and down on the speedometer needle. I have put a fuel cleaner no change.all my oils are at the correct levels. I also have NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS ON. Please if I can get advice on where to begin I would appreciate it. I’m a DIY SO I’m looking to solve this one. Not sure if it’s conecred but I also only have a/c blowing. I put the controls on hot by no hot air comes out at all not even while driving.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 am

you should use a scanner and see what the computer sees as speed. If the speedo and the computer don't match and the computer shows the correct speed then you may have a bad instrument cluster. The speedometer get it's information from the PCM. Scanning the pcm you should get the speed PID that is being sent to the dash. There may not be an engine code so no check engine light but scan for BCM or IPC codes

Blueprint526

Unread post by Blueprint526 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pm

I will try the odb reader. But I don’t think the speedometer being messed up would result in my car constantly shutting off at a stop. The car feels like it is choking before it shuts off. I have to rapidly place it on neutral so it won’t shut off.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 am

ok, so it's not that your speedometer shuts off, your engine shuts off at a stop. Or your engine stalls at stops.

a code reader and a scanner are not the same thing. A scanner will let you see the data stream. this way you can see what your computer is reacting to. what your fuel trims are. what your idle control is doing.See if your torque converter is releasing.

you said you notice it beginning to happen and you put the car in neutral to keep the engine running, what if you raise the engine rpm and use the brake? basically, power brake the engine at the stop? will it still die or can you keep it running?

Here's the thing, if the speedo goes erratic when coming to a stop and the engine stalls when coming to a stop, maybe it's connected. Maybe not, but you're going to have to try and figure out is it is related or if it's just a coincidence that they both happen at the same time.