1997 Camaro Blinking Engine Light

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
ksasser88

1997 Camaro Blinking Engine Light

Unread post by ksasser88 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:02 am

I was Driving home from work, I made a stop at the gas station, and when i got back into my car and started it up, my 1997 chevy camaro check engine light started flashing and the engine started shaking like it wanted to turn off. , when i got home i noticed smoke coming from the engine,, the water and temperature levels are good, along with the oil and trans levels.... what could be wrong?

ProTech

Re: 1997 Camaro Blinking Engine Light

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 pm

When the check engine light blinks like that, it means the engine is experiencing a misfire condition on one or more cylinders. This could be from something like a faulty fuel injector or an ignition problem like a bad coil, wire or plug. If you filled up with tainted gasoline, that can always cause a problem so you might want start there. Take a fuel sample if you have the tools to do so. Get the vehicle scanned to see which cylinder or cylinders are misfiring so you can concentrate diagnosis on those particular cylinders. Maybe pull the spark plugs and take a look for any fouling or carbon tracking.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

ksasser88

Unread post by ksasser88 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm

I will try that and i will be back to give you some feedback on what i encounter.... thank you

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

No problem at all, hope you find the problem!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Cam97

Unread post by Cam97 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 am

Hey i have the same car, v6 3.8 liter. And i have the same problem just started today. Did you ever figure out exactly what it was? I really dont wanna start pulling out spark plugs if thats not the problem. You have the same car and know theyre under the headers and not exactly easy to get to. I had a feeling a while ago a spark plug was going out and needed to be replaced so im hoping its that. But i scanned it with a code reader and it says p0300 and ive looked it up. That means a "random" misfire and not exactly one valve. Therefore, I dont know if its one specific spark plug or maybe a different issue. Please let me know if you found out what was wrong.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 am

p0300 is for a misfire or multiple misfires that are not consistently misfiring when the code set. A good scanner may have a misfire counter that you can watch all the cylinders while the engine is running and see what cylinders are missing. It may not be a spark plug. Could be a spark plug wire. depending on the motor you have, 3.8 or 5.7, could be a distributor cap, coil, ignition module, could even be an injector causing a problem.

but, first thing would be to see if you can find out what cylinders to look at. then try to narrow the problem down.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.