1996 cavalier ABS and Check Engine Light

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
cavy-guy

1996 cavalier ABS and Check Engine Light

Unread post by cavy-guy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:17 pm

i have a 1996 cavalier 2.2 automatic the car runs great there is the normal lifter noise like most cavys hve but that is nothing i was driving with my cold air on and thn it started blowing warm air and my abs+brake light came on and check engine light comes and goes it doesnt need recharged i cut into the ac pump and the ac works fine had guage put on it and its fine what else could it be casue all this ivebeen messin with the wires checked all the fuses nothing found to cure this any help would be really appreciated ive noticed today i dont have to apply the brake to shift like usual :oops:

Meccboy

Re: 1996 cavalier

Unread post by Meccboy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

With all of these different systems having problems at the same time, sounds like a ground wire problem.
Get the check engine and ABS codes scanned.
Check all ground wires under the hood. Especially the large one that attaches to the bottom of the battery tray- as standing in front of the car, it goes from the left side of the battery tray to the radiator support.
Aslo any grounds on the tranny bellhousing.
Be sure battery cables are clean and tight.

cavy-guy

Re: 1996 cavalier

Unread post by cavy-guy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:02 pm

i will do that first thing tomorrow hopefully i find it thanks for the info ill let you know if i find anything i know