Instrument lights

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Tammy

1993 Cavalier RS Headlights and Dashboard Lights

Unread post by Tammy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Why is it when I turn on my headlights my dashboard lights go off?

ProTech

Re: 1993 Cavalier RS Headlights and Dashboard Lights

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 pm

You might want to check the headlight switch for any burned terminals. The Cavalier's have had a number of light and wiring problems over the years. More than likely you have a faulty headlamp switch or a wiring issue between there and the dash lights.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

redlee

2003 Malibu Signals clicking

Unread post by redlee » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Hello new here.
My mothers car a 2003 Malibu has a what sounds like the signals are clicking in the dash.
Starts when signals are used, and gets faster and slower then sometimes stops sometimes does not.
I changed the E flasher switch out and same thing.
I have searched the Web and found maybe the signal switch maybe the prob.
Any help with diag. or solutions would be appreciated Thanks

TerryAuto

Re: 2003 Malibu Signals clicking

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Most of the time it is a problem with the hazard flasher switch in the dash. If that did not fix it, then yes, the turn signal switch is the problem.

A good way to check that is to turn the key on and when it is acting up, move the turn signal handle VERY LIGHTLY in both directions. This will usually cause the clicking to change speeds, pitch, etc.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

Firefighter6155

Instrument lights

Unread post by Firefighter6155 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:26 am

About a month ago, when trying to turn my lights on manually my 2003 mc ss said service car soon. Tonight I lost interior instrument panel lights but after further observation, I noticed they were just really really dim. I checked the dimmer switch and it was turned up as far as it could go. My mechanic said it sounds like a bad dimmer switch. We checked all the fuses and they were fine along with the dimmer itself which was a small turn away from turning on the dome light. Just checking to see if this is plausible or not???

carriedi

Re: Instrument lights

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

it could be a problem with the dimmer. what does it do when you move the dimmer switch back and forth from dim to bright?

to check the dimmer circuit you would need to look ate the brown and white wire to the dimmer switch to verify that you have good battery voltage and current. then look at the gray for the output from the dimmer. if the voltage is reduced even when the dimmer is in the bright position you could jump the battery voltage to the gray wire and see if the dash light brighten up. If they do get much brighter then you probably do have a bad dimmer
Attachments
mc ss dimmer.jpg
Chevy Monte Carlo interior lights dimmer switch schematics.
mc ss dimmer.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

llazyyboy

Re: 2003 Malibu Signals clicking

Unread post by llazyyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 am

I have searched the Web and found maybe the signal switch maybe the prob., what does it mean?
pass4sure security+ pdf