Will my Chevy Cavalier last

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
scotttt1970

Chevy Cavalier canister vent solenoid Question

Unread post by scotttt1970 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:27 pm

2000 Chevy Cavalier. I was just wondering if it is normal after probably 2 years of a canister vent solenoid not being hooked up,for their to be a strong odor of gas coming from the exhaust pipe after being hooked up after all that time. I got the code about two years ago and replaced the gas cap,and it didnt work so I just let it go. I just recently realized the wires from the solenoid to the harness were broke. The car seems to be running really good even noticed the slight miss I had has gone away. I cleared the code and so far it hasn't came back on. Thanks in advance.

TerryAuto

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier canister vent solenoid Question

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes, it is very possible. With the EVAP vent solenoid not working for so long, the system was not functioning correctly. It was not venting and closing properly, so the canister was probably full of fuel and now that it is working, the engine is pulling vapors from the canister when it is suppose to, and since it is so loaded up, the engine is getting way too much vapor and running rich.

It may take a while for all the vapor to be purged from the EVAP canister, so just drive it normally for a few days and see if the smell is gone or going away. The check engine light may come with an oxygen sensor code, so i would just have it cleared and continue to drive normally.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

scotttt1970

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier canister vent solenoid Question

Unread post by scotttt1970 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Just like you said the smell is gone and the car is running great. The light has not come back yet. Thanks for the response

willit12

Will my Chevy Cavalier last

Unread post by willit12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:24 pm

A 1999 Chevy Cavalier with 228,000 miles how much longer will it last ? No noticeable wear and tear or mechanical issues.

carriedi

Re: Will my Chevy Cavalier last

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm

it can last for many more years. will it? that's a tough one. I have seen some that have 300k (not many) but it can. I have also seen some that never hit 100K. Proper care helps but I think there is a little bit of luck that makes them last. I have a customer that has a ford tempo with 450K and he's still driving it delivering newspapers every morning. I have been telling him to get a new car for years. He's still driving it.

so, I guess the real answer is "I don't know."
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.