2007 Chevy Malibu Temp Gauge Went To Cold

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
TonyT

2007 Chevy Malibu Temp Gauge Went To Cold

Unread post by TonyT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu. I was driving down the road and I saw my temperature hand fall to cold and my engine light came on. What's the problem here?

carriedi

Re: 2007 Chevy Malibu Temp Gauge Went To Cold

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 pm

you should check your gauge against the scan value for the temperature. It's very possible that the stepper motor for your temp gauge has gone out. The instrument cluster sees that the gauge is reading something noteworthy and turns on the gauges light.

See if you have a code for temperature. Maybe the gauge is correct and the computer agrees. If you have a coolant temp of -40F on the scanner you have an open in you CTS circuit. If your PCM reads a normal temperature reading of 190-210 and the gauge says on the bottom cold, probably the gauge stepper.

A lot of the clusters now do not have removable light bulbs and gauges. they are all soldered into the circuit board. If you are good with that sort of stuff you can unsolder and remove, then replace the parts and solder back into the printed circuit board. If not then you have to replace the cluster.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

TonyT

Re: 2007 Chevy Malibu Temp Gauge Went To Cold

Unread post by TonyT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 am

Appreciate it