1999 Chevy Cavalier ABS and brake warning

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
CraigM

Chevrolet Cavalier brake leak

Unread post by CraigM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi all,

I have a 99 Chevy Cavalier and yesterday the brake peddle went to the floor. This morning I saw a puddle in the back middle of the parking space my car was in. I got under the car and looked around and seen that I have a leak.

I have been under there 4-5 times and am puzzled where the leak is. It is leaking in the rear middle of the car. I can't understand how the leak is there because the lines aren't running there. The middle of the parking brake cable where the cable splits is the most soaked area. But correct me if I am wrong but the P-brake is cable run and has nothing to do with the hydraulics.

I have taken some pics. If anyone has a clue to what is going on here it would be really appreciated. I want to fix it myself but can't decide on what I am seeing lol.

Here are links to the pics:

Underneath: Underneath http://twitpic.com/2g813n

Right Line: Right Line http://twitpic.com/2g81b2

Left Line: Left Line http://twitpic.com/2g81f5

As far as I can tell the lines aren't leaking but of course spray could be doing it but the leak on the ground is centered under the middle of the p-brake cable. Thanks ahead of time and if anyone needs any clarifying or other pics to help feel free to ask. I will do my best to help isolate the problem. Again thanks for the help!

- Craig

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 99 cavalier brake leak

Unread post by butchkaz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Good Pictures.
Yes, you are correct- there is no fluid related the P-brakes.
Either one of the hoses or lines is spraying onto that center area- but that leak area should be also wet; or i think that both lines run along the left (drivers side) then the right side goes across the car to the right wheel. That line is either into top of the suspension crossbar then leaking down onto the Park cable, or the line is sort of on the underside of that crossbar and spraying through the hole in the crossbar onto the cable.
Clean it all off real good, then fill fluid and have someone press pedal a few times to locate leak. Then entire system will need to be bled.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

jeremy8572

1999 Chevy Cavalier ABS and brake warning

Unread post by jeremy8572 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 am

For several months now, the ABS and Brake Warning Lights have been on constantly. The car drives fine. The car was checked for ABS codes and no codes were found. The brake fluid level is good and the front and rear pads/shoes are relatively new

carriedi

Re: 1999 Chevy Cavalier ABS and brake warning

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 am

you had it scanned and showed no codes, did you drive it and watch the data stream? did you use a tech2? The master cylinder is full but did it go low and someone filled it back up? Is the float stuck? (check the pink and black wire going to the master fluid level switch) did you check all your fuses? the ABS 40amp and the ABS 30amp fuse out in the underhood fuse box? or the ERLS fuse in the fuse panel?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.