Impala accelerates by itself

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
plisette45

Cranks but wont stay on

Unread post by plisette45 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

Hello I recently purchased a used 2001 Chevy Malibu. The car cranks on but wont stay on. I tried the 10 min reset but nothing. Still cranks but wont stay on. Please help. Thank you

ProTech

Re: Cranks but wont stay on

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 pm

There could many possibilities that are causing your no start condition. The 10 minute relearn is only if you have a security issue that can be fixed by relearning the theft deterrent password. If the the theft light is on and that procedure doesn't work, you have a more serious issue that will require replacement of parts, such as the ignition cylinder, switch, or body control module.

If the theft light isn't on, you could have a bad fuel pump or ignition problem. You should really check fuel pressure to see if the pump is working correctly. You should have about 50psi of fuel pressure at the test port with the key on. As for ignition troubles, you may not be getting spark. This can be due to a bad ignition module, coil, wire or plug, or computer sensor that is not working correctly.

Lots of things to check here, so good luck.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mwogan1

Impala acts up when gas gets low

Unread post by mwogan1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 pm

My 2003 Impala acts up like its runnig out of gas. i put 40 dollars in it lasy week it has only 175miles i drove it cooulnt be out og gas already .but my car only acts like the when it gets low u thing its the pulgs and wires that's the ony thing i haven't changed

Karl

Re: Impala acts up when gas gets low

Unread post by Karl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Can you give me a little more information on how it is running?
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Karl wrote:Can you give me a little more information on how it is running?
Sounds like he saying that the engine is loosing power or something when the gas gets low. Like a plugged converter or low fuel pressure.

Maybe something in the gas tank gets caught in the pickup when the fuel level is low.

Maybe he has got a lot of dirt or debre in the bottom of the tank.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

mwogan1

Unread post by mwogan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am

When I'm driveeing down the road some times it starts acting up like its out of gas but i but gas in it .then if i put morre gas in it its fine are leave it set for a hour are too

Karl

Unread post by Karl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

ChevyImpala

Impala accelerates by itself

Unread post by ChevyImpala » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4L base with 68k miles on it and I am having a problem with the acceleration and coolant level.

About every other time I start the vehicle, the car accelerates on its own, to the point where I am riding the brake when driving on a level road. When the car is engaged in park, it seems to be idling high. Also, when the car does accelerate on its own, I can hear a high-pitched whistling coming from the engine.

The coolant level has been under the cold mark for the last few days. I have added approx. 1.5-2 quarts of Dex-cool. Today it stayed at the cold line and did not require more fluid. I was alerted to the problem because I could hear liquid flowing sounds coming from the dash.

Any advice on what I should do? I have brought it back to the dealer and he has been willing to work with me, but he was not able to replicate the acceleration problem.
The dealer did tell me that the lower intake gasket had been replaced recently. I took apart the air intake and cleaned the throttle body and the IAC, but it hasn't helped.

Thanks for any advice.

carriedi

Re: Impala accelerates by itself

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:19 pm

the high pitch whistling sounds like there may be a vacuum leak somewhere. Unmetered air would cause the oxygen sensor to see a lean condition so the pcm would increase the pulse width to bring the exhaust readings up. You may want to get a scanner and drive the vehicle and graph the readings of the fuel trim, O2 pre-cat sensors, TPS, maf, map, and TAC. See what is happening while the condition is happening. It this something that happens all the time or just intermittently? If it does look like a vacuum problem you could use a smoke machine to find the leak. You may want to check for pending codes or mode 6 information to diag. for this problem. There have been problems with random acceleration from dirty throttle bodies holding the TPS up. (ie. 26-29 when normal would be 14-19)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.