Chevy malibu beeping behind dash

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
jackelstorm1983

Chevy malibu beeping behind dash

Unread post by jackelstorm1983 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 am

I have an anoying beeping sound eminating from behind my dash board from what sounds like the passanger side. It beeps in a code of 1 2 3 4 then starts over at one. Any idea as to what it is and how to get rid of it. Its happened before a few times but then it just stopped. However I have a 8 hour drive ahead of me tommorrow and I am not going to listen to it for that period of time.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Chevy malibu beeping behind dash

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 pm

jackelstorm1983 wrote:I have an anoying beeping sound eminating from behind my dash board from what sounds like the passanger side. It beeps in a code of 1 2 3 4 then starts over at one. Any idea as to what it is and how to get rid of it. Its happened before a few times but then it just stopped. However I have a 8 hour drive ahead of me tommorrow and I am not going to listen to it for that period of time.
What year is this Malibu?
Any work done recently?
Any non-factory alarms?
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

willegas

1998 Malibu ls instrument cluster failure

Unread post by willegas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 am

This prolem started intermitantly when going over bumps however, the cluster is now completely dead with the exception of the illumination lights. I've inspected, took apart and reconnected all conections between the pcm,bcm and cluster itself. checked all fuses for continuity and power (all ok), dissasembled cluster and re-seated the 'twist off style' stepper motors, re-assembled to no avail. If one stepper motor goes bad will it cause an entire cluster fail? Oh, i still get the audible 'ding,ding' when i start the car due to a low fuel situation. What is my next step?
Thanks in advance. If I can't soon resolve this I'm going to have to fill it with gasand donate it to a local gun range so I and my friends can "blow" off some steam!

ProTech

Re: 1998 Malibu ls instrument cluster failure

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm

You have one of two things that is causing your problem. Either you have a failed instrument cluster and it would have to be replaced to solve your problem...OR...you have a faulty ignition switch that is not sending the proper voltage to power up the instrument cluster, causing the erratic behavior. I've seen both quite a bit over the years, but more common is the ignition switch. Be aware that even if everything else seems to work fine, that doesn't eliminate a bad ignition switch. An ignition switch is fairly cheap and easy to change, you might want to start there. If you do end up needed a new instrument cluster, you will have to order one through your local GM dealer. Do not attempt to install another one from a donor car, or junkyard part, as it will not work.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+