1994 Chevy lumina euro 3.1 liter won't rev up past 2000 rpm

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
ericthegr8

1994 Chevy lumina euro 3.1 liter won't rev up past 2000 rpm

Unread post by ericthegr8 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:15 pm

This problem all started a week ago when my girlfriend was driving it home from work and it started running rich to the point where it would stall out. I towed it home and replaced the coolant temp sensor, and it rand better but it would surge at idle. I found out the EGR valve was sticking so i took it apart and cleaned. That didn't fix the condition so i brought it to a shop and they said my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking or i had bad o-rings on the injectors. So i canged the intake manifold gasket and all the injector o-rings. That seemed to fix the issue for a while until my girlfriend took it about 2 miles from home and when she started it to leave it wouldn't rev above 2,000 rpms so she couldn't drive faster than 10 mph. I tested the fuel pressure regulator and changed the fuel filter and the oxygen sensor I cut out the catalytic converter because it sounded plugged up, that didn't fix anything. I've also tested the throttle position sensor, tested the MAP sensor, changed out the oxygen sensor, and the computer will not trip a code. Now I am at a loss, I've been told it could be a bad ECU but I don't wanna sink 100 dollars in the car on a hunch. Does anyone out there have any useful insight?

P.S. I know it sounds like mass air flow sensor but this vehicle is not equipped with one.

ProTech

Re: 1994 Chevy lumina euro 3.1 liter won't rev up past 2000

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Seems like all your trouble starts when your girlfriend drives the car, eh? LOL!

Anyway, you might want start by doing a fuel pressure check, you could have a pump that is failing. Also take a fuel sample and make sure it's not bad gas.

It may or may not be a computer causing your trouble, usually they don't have symptoms like you're experiencing. Try banging on the computer while the car is running and see if it acts up. Not a foolproof check, but a check nonetheless.

If you're sure all other components are functioning correctly, such as ignition, sensors, and all the parts you've replaced, it has to be something you're overlooking.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

ericthegr8

Unread post by ericthegr8 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Lol yeah that's the real problem. How can I find out with a pressure test if its the pump or the regulator?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

If you have a bad regulator, it will be leaking out of the vacuum port hole. You said you tested it already, so I'm assuming it's fine by what you say.

You need to do a fuel pressure check to see the condition of the pump and/or if it leaks down any, which still could be a regulator issue. If you've got a test gauge, install it and check the pressure with the key in the 'on' position. It should be at least 45 psi, and then not fall off much past a few psi. Running the car should have 38-45 psi. Anything below that, replace the pump.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+