Instrument Cluster Upgrade

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
fjww99

Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Unread post by fjww99 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:17 am

Good Morning. I have a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that I would like to remove the bland instrument cluster which only has the temp, fuel and speedometer and replace it with a cluster that has all the bells and whistles like a Sunfire that has the tachometer, amp, etc clusters. I looked in the repair manual and saw that the wiring for the Sunfire and the Cavalier appeared to be the same and I actually went and bought a used 1996 Sunfire's instrument cluster. The problem is the mounts are different and the wiring harness of the Cavalier will not fit the Sunfire's plug-in or location. Anyone know what year and vehicle dash (that has all the clusters like tach, etc.) might work in my 1996 Cavalier? Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Billy

Re: Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Unread post by Billy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:56 pm

I dont thingk it will work.
The BCM supplies the data for the other lights and gauges.
You would have to get a different BCM, wiring harness, and program the BCM.

protech

Re: Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Unread post by protech » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:51 pm

There were Cavalier's that came with the tach and other gauges, if you could find one it would bolt in the same way as the existing cluster. The wiring should be the same, just unused on your current car without tach, etc. You might a new Body Control Module which would need to be programmed to the car.