Malibu 1999 remote and warnings not working

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Stacy4

Malibu 1999 remote and warnings not working

Unread post by Stacy4 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm

I just purchased a used 1999 Malibu (base model) The radio has been working and today I turned it on and got nothing, no lights, bells, whistles. Additionally, I do not have the remote keyless entry and the theft system light is constantly lit (although the car does start). Additionally, my gas guage only reads full and is now starting to "float". Is this car worth keeping or should I return it?

ProTech

Re: Malibu 1999 remote and warnings not working

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Sounds like you've got a bad ignition switch, and it's not getting power to all the right places. This is pretty common, actually, and not a hard part to replace. You can remove it and do some wire testing and volt measurements. As for the theft light, even though the car starts, you are probably at the beginning phase of losing the theft signal as well, which would be a faulty ignition cylinder. The cylinder comes with the Passlock sensor which is used for the theft deterrent and needs a simple re-learn to function properly. If you have it apart, you may want to consider replacing the ignition switch and ignition cylinder all in one fell swoop.

One other possibility is a Body Control Module that is crapping out, but that is not quite as common as the first things I mentioned. If you can get the car scanned to see if there are any codes in the theft system that would be a plus.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 pm

*** whatever you do, do not clear codes. *** If your security light is on all the time but your car starts up, it means the the passlock has lost the keys signal after the car started up. It goes into a default mode. (starts but the light stays on). If the passlock cannot read the lock cylinder and you clear codes the car may not start. You may not be able to do a relearn if there is a signal problem. so, be careful
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm

"carriedi" Please refrain from posting redundant information in the forum. You're basically telling the person the same thing that I did, and we don't need that here. This is your final warning! Please keep your responses only to unanswered non-GM posts.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+