whistling/ringing sound from exhaust?

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Logan

whistling/ringing sound from exhaust?

Unread post by Logan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2 L and Just had the cat converter replaced a couple weeks ago and since then I have been hearing this whistling/ringing ( closest way to describe it) noise from under the car i believe. When I roll the windows down I can't hear it but with the windows up and radio off I can hear it pretty well inside the cabin. It happens only when I accelerate but after the car is warmed up after driving it awhile and I turn the car off and restart to take off back on the road It practically disappears or its hardly there enough for me to hear it.
Could someone please give me some things to check for? I have no idea what could be causing this.

I appreciate any help given, Thanks!

ProTech

Re: whistling/ringing sound from exhaust?

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

If it happened after you had the catalytic converter replaced, then they obviously did something wrong. You should take it back to whoever did the job and have them fix it. It could be something inside the converter that is coming apart, or just a shabby install job, who knows. You shouldn't be responsible for it since someone else caused the noise. Take it back to them and have them find it and fix it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Logan

Re: whistling/ringing sound from exhaust?

Unread post by Logan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 am

ProTech wrote:If it happened after you had the catalytic converter replaced, then they obviously did something wrong. You should take it back to whoever did the job and have them fix it. It could be something inside the converter that is coming apart, or just a shabby install job, who knows. You shouldn't be responsible for it since someone else caused the noise. Take it back to them and have them find it and fix it.
Ok Thanks I will do that.