Chevy Malibu No Brakes After Repairs

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
tommyb55

Chevy Malibu No Brakes After Repairs

Unread post by tommyb55 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am

I replaced the brake pads, rotors and calipers on the front of my 2001 Malibu. I bled the whole sysytem, and now when I start the car I have no brakes? What am I doing wrong?

ProTech

Re: Chevy Malibu No Brakes After Repairs

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Hard to say exactly since I'm not looking at it in person, but obviously it's something you did, or failed to do correctly. You may still have air in the system, and it could require another bleeding procedure. There could also be air in the ABS unit (if equipped) and that requires a special procedure with a scanner to bleed out correctly.

Other things that go wrong....you may have installed the brake pads incorrectly. There is a bigger metal locating tab on two of the pads, and a smaller one on the two others. If installed in the wrong position, the caliper won't sit correctly on the bracket and you'll have brake issues. You can tell which way the pads go by looking at the metal guide in the center of the caliper.

Also, if you've twisted the rubber flex hoses to the calipers when reinstalling them, brake fluid won't be able to get to the pistons to apply the brakes.

More than likely, it's one of the above mentioned things you did, or did wrong. Recheck your work and you should find the problem easily.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+