2000 Chevy Impala 3.8 misses and stalls

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
dibabyred

2000 Chevy Impala 3.8 misses and stalls

Unread post by dibabyred » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I have a 2000 CHevy Impala that misses, lunges, and dies. Sometimes it will restart and sometimes not. It feels as if I'm getting no fuel pressure and the rpms are going crazy. It has had fuel pump replaced twice, throttle position sensor, and munerous other modules as well as software updates and reprograming the computer. I first took it to my certified mechanic and when it still was happening he was stupified and said computer was sending out crazy codes that weren't the problem and take to dealership. Dealership installed software and reprogrammed computer and told me the fuel pump was bad and need fuel injectors cleaned. My mechanic cleaned the fuel injectors and put another fuel pump into vehicle and still have the same problem. If the dealership dosen't know what is wrong with my car, who does?

ProTech

Re: 2000 Chevy Impala 3.8 misses and stalls

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:01 pm

You should have let the dealership fix the problems they told you about and not taken it back to your mechanic to have him install the parts. That way, they would have been on the hook to repair the vehicle if those parts didn't fix it. The problem you describe can be numerous different things, such as a bad fuel pump, a leaking fuel pressure regulator, a faulty ignition component, module, crank sensor, etc. Also, leaking intake gaskets can make the car run all crazy since it's basically a vacuum leak. An improperly installed PCV and o-rings on the upper plenum can do the same thing and act like a large vacuum leak. This would need some further inspection I would say.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

dibabyred

Unread post by dibabyred » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:24 am

I had already paid a certified mechanic to put the first fuel pump in, so his work was guaranteed. The fuel regulator was also checked by dealership because there was a recall on it. I had already replaced that part around 11 months ago. Delership said it was fine. The problem is I have is I only had around a 1000 to spend on the car to get it fixed. Will the dealership charge me again to do another diagnostics test? My mechanic also checked my gas tank for debris and said it was clean. Do you think I should try the dealership again or just get rid of the car?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:15 am

The dealership will probably charge you again to diagnose it, but you might want to consider letting them do it again and see what they come up with. You can tell them you had the repairs done that they recommended and that it didn't fix it and they may cut you a break. The thing with dealerships is, they really hate doing the diagnosing and then having a customer take it elsewhere to have the repairs done because it might be cheaper. I can understand if your fuel pump was under warranty somewhere else, but for anything else, you should let them fix it. If you let them do any repairs that they say will fix the car, and then if it doesn't fix it, they will usually make it right. Up to you whether to get rid of the car or not, as it could be cheap or very expensive to fix.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+