lifter knocking for a 2001 chevy lumina 3.1

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
arwhite80035

lifter knocking for a 2001 chevy lumina 3.1

Unread post by arwhite80035 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:15 pm

about a year ago i had antifreeze leak into my oil from the manifold gasket.. so i tore down the engine and cleaned all the pudding like gunk out reasmbled put oil and antifreeze in and started it up ..got a knocking sound like a stuck lifter or rocker arm.. i may have put the pushrods in wrong but the order would be the same .. i think if i had just had them turned around.. after running the engine for about 15 minutes changed the oil again and still making the knocking sound..should i recheck the pushrods and rockerarms before anything else..thanks for any help..or could the lifters be plugged and more work done?

TerryAuto

Re: lifter knocking for a 2001 chevy lumina 3.1

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:59 pm

If i understand properly, the leak started a year ago, and you just now fixed it? If so, running for so long with contaminated oil may have damaged something- a lifter, rocker arm, cam lobe, cam bearing, ect. A tap would be something in the top end, a knock would be bottom end.

I would start by making sure the pushrods are in the right spots. They are different lengths. Normally if one or more are in the wrong spot, it will cause a misfire.

If a rocker arm stud was stipped out, this causes the rocker to get loose and will cause a noise. This usually happens a few months after repacing the gaskets, if the rockers were no torqued properly.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

arwhite80035

Unread post by arwhite80035 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks.. the antifreeze in oil happened a year ago.and the car had been sitting since..just recently started repairing it.. I'm going to check the pushrods and rocker arms today.. when the mixture happened the car just stopped but it did start a couple more times to at least get it home...check out the pudding in the pictures I posted..yuck.
http://www.greatautohelp.com/forums/gal ... lbum_id=11

arwhite80035

Unread post by arwhite80035 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 pm

is there suposed to be some play on any of the rocker arms from the spring?

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am

Ya, those picture show a mess !
The rockers do have a little play in them.
Sitting for so long may have caused your noise. If you have not already, i would let it run. Sometimes it takes a long time to get the lifters purged of air and milkshake.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

arwhite80035

Unread post by arwhite80035 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:12 am

Yeah it was a mess manually cleaned most out by hand ran for 30 minutes with new oil and also put some gunk out ..drained and put new oil in...still knocking but will give it some time..thanks..