2007 Chevy Impala grinding noise

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
trt818

2007 Chevy Impala grinding noise

Unread post by trt818 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 am

I have a 2007 Chevy Impala, there is a loud noise coming from the passenger tire when turning left, I took car to dealer they said it was front end struts, then i took care to firestone they could not find anything wrong, but my brake light came on and the brake system indicator light came on, both stayed on for two days, but now they are off. Please help, can you tell me what is possibly wrong with my car.

TerryAuto

Re: 2007 Chevy Impala grinding noise

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Is the noise you are hearing constant that increases with vehicle speed or only happens when turning the wheel?
Does it change or go away when turning right?

trt818

Unread post by trt818 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 pm

the noise gets louder when speeding and turning left or right

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 pm

If it is a constant grind or rubbing noise when driving, then you either have a bad tire or more likely a bad front hub bearing. That would also explain the ABS light. Driving at, say, 30 MPH and turning the wheel the noise will usually change.

The front hub bearing is also a wheel speed sensor for the antilock brakes. When a hub bearing goes bad, it will make a grinding noise that increases as vehicle speed increases and can also set a code in the ABS computer.
More Grinding Hub Bearing Noise information.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

eddie197644

Unread post by eddie197644 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:14 pm

I also have the same problem with my front right hub. and the tire pressure sensor for the front right tire. because the tire sensor is bad it causes the wheel bearing to go bad. or at least that's what I've heard. all of the auto parts stores around where I live keep front right wheel hub bearings on stock at all times because it is such a common problem with that car. you're better off doing it yourself for 100 bucks or less because the garages want $500-$700. I got a used 1 from the junkyard for $35.00. the entire knuckle and wheel bearing hub put together so alls I had to do is swap it out. honestly this car should be recalled for a number of different problems. They recalled the police issued models but not the private citizens. also if you buy the replacement sensor for the front right tire it goes bad too

Jmiles91114

Unread post by Jmiles91114 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:12 am

TerryAuto wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm
Is the noise you are hearing constant that increases with vehicle speed or only happens when turning the wheel?
Does it change or go away when turning right?
I have a constant grinding when I start the car or like a screeching noise, it’ll increase with the warmer the car got. Any ideas?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 pm

since you stated that the noise starts when you start your car and you didn't say drive the car I think you are talking about an engine noise. I would look at your accessory drive belt. (fan belt) Screeching noise could be coming from the drive belt slipping. A bad belt tensioner... a bad AC compressor... something that the belt is slipping on causing the noise.

Oil pressure and oil level look normal?

Have you opened the hood and listened to where the noise seems to be coming from?

sometimes the fuel pump can make a grinding or screeching noise as they go bad. It's not really loud usually.

without hearing the noise and listening to find out where the noise is coming from it is difficult to give you an answer...