2004 Malibu V6 Heater Core question...

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
tabwire

2004 Malibu V6 Heater Core question...

Unread post by tabwire » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

If the heater core hoses are hooked up backwards, will it cause the engine to run hot?
Also, if the heater core is stopped up, will it cause the engine to run hot?

ProTech

Re: 2004 Malibu V6 Heater Core question...

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

If the heater hoses are hooked up backwards, it really should not make the car run hot, but it would affect the actual heat produced in the car. It may cause some flow issues, if backwards, which may or may not make it run hotter.

If only the heater core is clogged, and not the rest of the cooling system, then no it would not make the car run hot either. But, usually if the heater core is clogged, that means there is deposits elsewhere in the cooling system too, such as the radiator, hoses, block and cylinder heads. Something like that definitely would make the car run hotter and also lower the heat produced by the heater core in the car.

If you're experiencing an over heating condition, I'd highly recommend getting the cooling system checked out.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

scotttt1970

Chevy Cavalier A/C grinding question

Unread post by scotttt1970 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

The AC went out on my 2000 Cavalier almost 2 years ago and before it went out I noticed a metal on metal noise every time I turned it on. Once it finally stop blowing cold air I figured I would see if it was low on refrigerant and it was fully charged. So today I finally went and had it checked at Firestone and I was told the compressor, accumulator and condenser needed to be replaced which would be around 2 grand. My question is does it sound like I am being lied to or is it totally possible for all three of these to be bad? Also If I replace the compressor and accumulator and it was the condenser that was bad will it hurt the new stuff I just put in? Thanks in advance

ProTech

Re: Chevy Cavalier A/C grinding question

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes, what they are telling you is probably right. The metal on metal noise you were hearing was most likely the compressor failing internally which puts metal shavings all throughout the entire a/c system. That is why when something like that happens, you need to replace the components that get clogged up with debris, such as the condenser and accumulator. If you want the a/c to work properly you are going to have to replace everything, just like the repair shop told you. If you only do one or two items, you'll just end up ruining them as well and still have no cold air, but a lot lighter wallet. Your only choice is to fix everything, or just live without air conditioning.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

scotttt1970

Re: Chevy Cavalier A/C grinding question

Unread post by scotttt1970 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

OK I appreciate the information and the knowledge. What you said makes perfect since. I guess for now no A/C. Have a good night.