2002 Chevy impala 3400 wont start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
coreywalker

2002 Chevy impala 3400 wont start

Unread post by coreywalker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 pm

i have a 2002 chevy impala that wont start the guy i bought it from says its the crank sensor he changed the ignition and it will turn over and try to start but dies as soon as it "starts" can someone help im stomped!!!

TerryAuto

Re: 2002 Chevy impala 3400 wont start

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 am

Hello. We are going to need a little more information.
Does it run for 2-3 seconds and just shut off, or does it sort of chug and die?
When it stalls out, look on the dash to see if the theft / security light is now flashing.
Has fuel pressure been checked?
Let us know.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

coreywalker

Unread post by coreywalker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 pm

the security light will come on and flash but so will other lights im not sure on fuel pressure i dont have a way to check it. it will start and it will sort of chug out and die before it evens starts. i think something with the security is stopping it one guy said it was the cps so im going to change it and see if that does it. the car was involved in a theft but owner said he has cleared the computer and he has a jumper wire ran from the starter to the key and has changed the ignition and has the dash torn apart with the ignition sitting on the floor. and says the cps on the back side was bad on one side and weak on the other?.. is this help?

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Oh my. With the ignition laying there on the floor, i would bet that the small 3 wire connector is not attached to the switch. The wires just are not lon enough. A wire from the key to the starter? What a mess.

If he is just running a wire from the ignition to the starter, that has nothing to do with the theft system enabling the fuel injectors- that is done by the computer sensing the passlock cylinder with the 3 wire connector i mentioned above, then telling the injectors to fire.

A crank sensor wil not cause it toi start and dye. It would cause a not start- completely. Also, ther is no such thing as a WEAK crank sensor.

You have a theft problem.

coreywalker

Unread post by coreywalker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

so what do i need to do i can check the wires later but its a wirning mess done there... if the wires are all connected then what do i need to do this car has me beat... im at the stopping point and dont know what else to do... please help... how do i get past the "theft problem" can i get a phone number to talk to you or someone directly? its much easier to explain thanks

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 am

You need to get the car back to the way it is suppose to be. I have no idea what kind of mess the last guy made.

That means getting rid of the wiring that is not suppose to be there, getting it all back together, doing a relearn and see what happens.

About all i can do is send you 1 or 2 schematics of the theft and ignition swtich for a small fee. I can email you instruction on how to get those schematics. But it is totally up to you to put the car right. If you are good with schematics and wiring repairs, you would be able to get the car back to normal, but i cannot guarantee the car will be fixed because again, the car was a theft and and i have no idea what kind of mess the other guy made.

coreywalker

Unread post by coreywalker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 am

okay well i really dont have a idea how to fix the wires but i checked the wires and their all their tight but up higher they have been hacked into i checked pressuse from the little valve stem deal and it sprayed out good the car wants to start but something is telling it to shut off or something im lossed

coreywalker

Unread post by coreywalker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 am

the wires as in the ignition wires that is im not sure if its the security though cause only after trying to start a couple times the security light will flash 3 or 4 times then go to battery door ajar etc...

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, you have a secutiy problem. Try a learn procedure. There is a link to the security relearn procedure on this page...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4484