91 lumina ignition lock removal

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
cubby

91 lumina ignition lock removal

Unread post by cubby » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:54 pm

how do i remove, do you need to drop stering column

Paulie

Re: 91 lumina ignition lock removal

Unread post by Paulie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 pm

You need to remove the stering wheel, turn signal switch assembly, lock plate, cancel cam, then the screw that holds the cylinder in. Need several special tools. The column does not need to be dropped or removed, just dissasembled.

pamom

2001 Lumina hesitation

Unread post by pamom » Mon May 24, 2010 6:48 am

I have a 2001 Chevy Lumina with 85,000 miles on it. I purchased it used about 6 months ago. As I am accelerating on the highway it will have a hesitation or stutter at about 50 mph. It was checked by a mechanic friend with the computer and it has a slight misfire on cylinder 1. So I have been putting in Lucas Injector cleaner and we replaced spark plugs and wires. He also checked the transmission and said everything checked out. He said it was running great and not to worry about the hesitation. I don't want to put a lot of money into this car and have been getting 25-27 mpg mileage, but the hesitation is irritating. Any suggestions?

Meccboy

Re: 2001 Lumina hesitation

Unread post by Meccboy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:19 pm

A hesitation under load is usually a misfire caused by an ignition problem. Cracked plug, weak plug wire, or faulty coil.
Since you have replaced these things, it may be a transmission problem. Even though there are no trans codes, it can still have a problem in the Torque Converter(TCC) circuit. Accelerating at highway speeds causes the TCC to disengage on you would feel s a slihgt downshift. If the TCC solenoid or a valve in the valve body were acting up, it would give a hesitation like you describe. But again, misfire under load is usually spark related.

99 lumina abs clicks( not the gears in the abs module)

Unread post by Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:57 pm

i have a 99 chevy lumina and anytime you hit the brakes above 15 mph, it clicks and dims the headlights. i hooked it up to a snap-on solus scanner and checked for codes, there are none. i checked the wheel speed sensors and they are all within 1mph of each other. also it shows that all 3 of the solinoids are clicking on and off drawing 20.16 amps each. if you run it up to 60mph and start lightly braking the traction control light comes on and flickers as the solinoids click, and goes out when you quit braking. I do not have access to a tech2 scanner. Also, you don't have to actually apply the brakes. i have adjusted the brake light switch to where the brakelights come on, the problem occurs with out touching the brake pedal at all.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 99 lumina abs clicks( not the gears in the abs module)

Unread post by butchkaz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Guest wrote:i have a 99 chevy lumina and anytime you hit the brakes above 15 mph, it clicks and dims the headlights. i hooked it up to a snap-on solus scanner and checked for codes, there are none. i checked the wheel speed sensors and they are all within 1mph of each other. also it shows that all 3 of the solinoids are clicking on and off drawing 20.16 amps each. if you run it up to 60mph and start lightly braking the traction control light comes on and flickers as the solinoids click, and goes out when you quit braking. I do not have access to a tech2 scanner. Also, you don't have to actually apply the brakes. i have adjusted the brake light switch to where the brakelights come on, the problem occurs with out touching the brake pedal at all.
Sounds like a ground problem. If the traction light comes on, there should be a code set. The light flickering again is a sign of a ground problem.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

Re: 99 lumina abs clicks( not the gears in the abs module)

Unread post by Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

I will check that and report back

arwhite80035

Re: 91 lumina ignition lock removal

Unread post by arwhite80035 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm

you can rent most of the special tools at most auto parts stores..you can also get the switch at said stores. but if you have a resistance key it would have to be made at a dealership or thats what i had to do..take old key with you ..but once you lower the steering colum and replace the switch its easier to reasmble good luck