2005 Impala security warning light On and Off

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
jfrazz58

2005 Impala security warning light On and Off

Unread post by jfrazz58 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

My 2005 Impala has been showing the security light comes on after so many miles of driving. but goes off when i stop and turn the car off for a few minutes. is there a quick fix for it

ProTech

Re: 2005 Impala security warning light On and Off

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm

There is a quick fix, but unfortunately it is only temporary and your problem will resurface at a later date for sure. You can attempt a manual re-learn procedure for the theft deterrent system. I will have our Admin post a link to the procedure in this thread...
Impala Theft Relearn Procedure

But, now on to your real problem. If you want this problem fixed permanently you will need to replace the ignition cylinder and Passlock housing. This comes as a complete unit, after being properly coded by your dealer, and would also require a re-learn procedure after replacement.

What is happening here is that the Passlock or Theft Deterrent system on your Impala is losing the electronic 'password' that the computer learns to know that is should start the car when you turn the ignition. This will usually set a trouble code in the Body Control Module and is very common for your car.

If you replace the ignition cylinder, and then re-learn the theft deterrent, your problem will be fixed.
Attachments
Chevy Impala Ignition Switch.gif
Chevy Impala Ignition Switch
Chevy Impala Ignition Switch.gif (25.94 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+