1995 Chevy Camaro Fuel Pump Not Turning On

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
camaro guy

1995 Chevy Camaro Fuel Pump Not Turning On

Unread post by camaro guy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:40 pm

i have a 1995 chevy camaro it has a 5.7 lt1 eng. i replaced the fuel pump and got my relay checked and its supposably good im only getting .37 volts or 3.7 volts to the connector now before it quit running i had some trouble with it starting and i turned the key like 10-15 times and it would start but all its doing is crankin but not starting and the fuel pump is not coming on and not pumping fuel please help

Jim

Re: fuel issues

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Of cource you need at least 12 volts back at the connector.
You are going to have to check to see if relay is sending 12 volts to fuel pump connector. If have 12 volts out of relay, then you have a wiring problembetween the relay and the pump.
If no 12 volts, then problem is before relay. Try wiggling harnesess while having the volt meter at the connector to see if you can get the voltage to change. That would give you you an area of a wiring problem.

camaro guy

Unread post by camaro guy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 am

if its before the relay where should i start looking for the problem or is it just a straight wire to the pcm or to the switch

Jim

Unread post by Jim » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 am

The PCM just controls the relay on or off.
Then the relay completes a 12 volt circuit to send power to the pump.
So it would not be the PCM, but the 12 power into the relay, that the relay controls.
Possible ignition switch, wiring to the relay, etc.

camaro guy

Unread post by camaro guy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm

ok well ive changed out the ignition lock cylinder,ignition switch, went through 2 new relays , still not getting the fuel pump to turn on with the relay in but i can take the relay out and do the jumper wire test and then it turns on the fuel pump and i get fuel to the front lines at the fuel rail but still wont start .and im getting 12.67 volts to one connector in the fuel relay harness??!! im lost

Tally

Unread post by Tally » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:03 pm

So you are now getting fuel pressure and it still wont start?
Going to have to check for injectoru pulse and spark.
If you can turn the pump on by jumpering at relay terminal, get fuel pressure, and still wont start, sound like either a theft system problem, or a bad PCM. PCM controls theft, fuel pump relay, injector pulse, spark.
Check all fuses too.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 1995 Chevy Camaro Fuel Pump Not Turning On

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Sounds like a theft system problem. Check the Passkey ignition cylinder for the common broken wires.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.