2006 Cobalt Is Hard To Start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
DD2006Cobalt

2006 Cobalt Is Hard To Start

Unread post by DD2006Cobalt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 am

My 2006 Cobalt starts perfectly the 1st time I start it however, when I make a trip to the store and show for say 30 mins. when I go to start the car it acts like it doesn't want to start. The battery is new (I replaced it thinking that might be the problem but it's not) and there's no ticking sound; it doesn't sound like a starter issue. One additional note, when starting the car my steering column does lock up a lot but I'm able to move the column to release it so that I can start it.

ProTech

Re: 2006 Cobalt Is Hard To Start

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 pm

You might want to try to get it scanned for an trouble codes. Even if the check engine light is off, something may have triggered if there is a problem. A tech can look at stored data on a scanner and see what might have been acting up. It doesn't seem like a battery or starter problem, but the column locking up is strange and could be a completely different issue. There are known power steering motor problems on the Chevy Cobalt's. Other things can cause a hard starting issue are fuel or ignition problems, internal engine problems such as timing. It could be a computer sensor that is glitching out as well, which is why it would be best to start off by getting the car scanned and checked out in person by a tech.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+