04 malibu wont start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
mlefae1

04 malibu wont start

Unread post by mlefae1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:22 pm

hello! i have an 04 malibu classic. today, at the local convenience store, i went to start my car and it started and promptly died. we have not been able to get it to start but one other time since and it did the same exact thing. we have tried to make it relearn the key both with the 10 minute method and the 30 minute method and nothing but a now almost dead battery. does anyone have any clues. i really cant afford to pay to get it towed to the dealership AND get it checked and fixed. thanks!

sorry, i forgot to add that the theft light stays on.

ProTech

Re: 04 malibu wont start

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Well, since the theft light is staying on, you definitely have a problem with the security system. The 10 minute relearn only works with a scanner, so the 30 minute relearn is the only way to do it manually. Since it doesn't seem to work, your problem must have gotten worse since the last time it failed. You most likely need a new ignition cylinder, as that's the most common thing that causes this, but it could also be a faulty Body Control Module. You might want to try the 30 minute relearn again if you can, without killing the battery, and see if it takes. If not, you will have no other choice but to have it towed to a shop for repair.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mlefae1

Unread post by mlefae1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 pm

actually this is only the 2nd time its ever happened and the first one it started right up and stayed started after it died. i thought i just didnt make it turn over right. i actually got the light to go off finally but it still wont start. we're gonna try the other key but since the light is off now it may not work anyway. thank you! if you have any more knowledge to impart on that, i would appreciate it. :)

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Well, if the light is off, you'd think it would start. I don't think the key is your issue.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+