'07 Impala roaring noise.

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
SunnySide

'07 Impala roaring noise.

Unread post by SunnySide » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 am

So I have had this car for a little over a year, and recently I started hearing, what I can only describe as a roaring noise, coming from the vehicle when I drive at or around 40-45 mph. At least that's where it's worst. It literally feels like the whole car is vibrating at that speed, lower and faster it's not so bad. I can't afford a local mechanic at the moment, nor can my sister, a certified mechanic, afford to come see me. I have no idea what to do for this, and I can't find anything on the net for it. Is there anything I should do, or try to fix myself till I can see a mechanic? Maybe it's just a simple fix? I only know simple auto mechanics, so please don't be too harsh.

ProTech

Re: '07 Impala roaring noise.

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Usually, a roaring noise while driving at speed is associated with a bad hub bearing. Unfortunately, this is not an inexpensive fix. A hub bearing replacement is required to fix this kind of roaring noise. You would have to determine which wheel is making the noise, which is easiest if you can get the car in the air. Listen around the center of each wheel, and also check for looseness.
Attachments
Hub-Bearing.jpg
Front Hub bearing
Hub-Bearing.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

SunnySide

Unread post by SunnySide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks for the information, and the pic, unfortunately I don't have a way of getting my car in the air, but I know somebody who might let me borrow their lift. I'll research it some and give it a try. Thanks.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:23 pm

You're welcome, and good luck!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+