2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sputters And Wont Start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Tomme

2001 Malibu Fuel Pump Not Always Coming On

Unread post by Tomme » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:19 pm

I have an 2001 Chevy Malibu i turn the key but the fuel pump doesn't always kick on i just put new fuel pump sending unit and pick up in it. i am still having same problem. try to start and it cranks but wont start. after a while i might get lucky and the fuel pump kicks on and it starts. once it starts its fine till i try to start it again. can some on please help. thanks

Re: 2001 Malibu Fuel Pump Not Always Coming On

Unread post by Guest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Tomme wrote:I have an 2001 Chevy Malibu i turn the key but the fuel pump doesn't always kick on i just put new fuel pump sending unit and pick up in it. i am still having same problem. try to start and it cranks but wont start. after a while i might get lucky and the fuel pump kicks on and it starts. once it starts its fine till i try to start it again. can some on please help. thanks
See this link for
Fuel Sending Unit INFORMATION

Freeddy

Unread post by Freeddy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Try swapping the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse panel with one of the same type in that fuse box.
Have had a of these stick sometimes.
Also had a bad fuse box. Wiggling the relay, or moving around the box caused te car to act up.

Unread post by Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Had one of those bad fuse boxes in my Pontiac Grand Prix. Pulled a few fuses, moved box around, then the car started acting up. Replaced it and problem solved !

Tammy

Unread post by Tammy » Sat May 08, 2010 7:17 pm

[quote="Guest"]Had one of those bad fuse boxes in my Pontiac Grand Prix. Pulled a few fuses, moved box around, then the car started acting up. Replaced it and problem solved ![/quote]
Same here ! Water in the fuses for fule pump.

Cody253

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sputters And Wont Start

Unread post by Cody253 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

My friend has a 2000 Chevy Malibu. He was driving on the freeway last night when suddenly it started puttering. He knew it was not going to make it much longer so he pulled over. We filled it up with gas.. and tried starting it.. It sounds normal when trying to start.. but it doesn't start. I am thinking it is the sparkplugs. Please help

protech

Re: Malibu starting problem

Unread post by protech » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:31 pm

you most likely have a fuel pump that has gone bad. the sputtering and then stalling out and not restarting is a telltale sign that you've lost fuel pressure. malibu's are known for having fuel pumps short out, especially if you have a lot of miles on the car. if you have fuel pressure gauge you can check the pressure with the key on or while trying to crank the car. if it doesn't move or isn't up to spec (45psi or greater) then you need to replace the fuel tank module (pump) assembly. i'd recommend changing the fuel filter, too.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Yes, we have had problems in the Chevy Malibu fuse boxes. It is not somehting that can be repaired. It must be replaced. Usually the cause of the failure is water getting into it. Sometimes the connectors are corroeded, but most of the time it is internal.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.