1997 Chevy Malibu Code P1441- Rough Idle

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
budh420

1997 Chevy Malibu Code P1441- Rough Idle

Unread post by budh420 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

hi, i've been having a erratic idle with my 97 chevy malibu

I took it into my friends shop and he found the purge valve hoses were flipped, so he fixed it now when I run low on gas (gas light on,or fill up) I get a p1441 code and I never got it before. I was reading that with a faulty purge valve it can cause erratic idle but I was never getting any codes before he flipped the hoses, and I still have the erratic idle problem....

freeze fram data...

fuel sys 1 CL
fuel sys 2 NA
Calc Load (%) 7.84
ECT (F) 165
STFT B1 (%) -3.91
LTFT B1 (%) -2.34
MAP (inHg) 14.17
Eng RPM 1376
Veh Speed (mph) 31
MAF (1b/min) 1.57
TPS (%) 7.45

does anyone know what might be causing this and if it is releated to my erratic idle?

Thank You

budh420

Re: p1441 code

Unread post by budh420 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 am

I changed my purge valve and filled up my tank and the check engine light did not come on and now my tank is pretty much empty and the check engine light did not come on but still have the erattic idle and after i started my car this morning it sounded like there was a bang in my gas tank

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm

budh420 wrote :
> I changed my purge valve and filled up my tank and the check engine light
> did not come on and now my tank is pretty much empty and the check engine
> light did not come on but still have the erattic idle and after i started
> my car this morning it sounded like there was a bang in my gas tank
A bang in the fuel tank is usually caused by high pressure or vacuum. This should be controlled by the purge valve. The code P1441- flow during non-purge may be gone, but something is still wrong. Maybe the other guy thought the hoses were worng and switched them, but they were actually correct to begin with- and the new purge valve fixed the light and code, but now switching the hoses caused this thunp noise. Depending on what hoses, you may have full engine vacuum going straight into the tank !
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

budh420

Unread post by budh420 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:11 pm

I checked my book and he has the hoses right, its not banging anymore it was just that one time but still has a irratic idle, im wondering if I can try and run the car with the gas cap off for a couple of minutes to see if it changes anything?