2006 Malibu Low Fuel Light then Check Engine Light

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
MalibuFrustrated

2006 Malibu Low Fuel Light then Check Engine Light

Unread post by MalibuFrustrated » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I know I have let this go on way too long!

I have a 2006 Malibu, 4 door sedan, LT. Over a year ago I was running low on gas and my low fuel light came on. I stopped and filled up not even 5 miles after it came on. Ever since I have been having a problem with the low fuel light coming on right after I fill up. By the time I pull out of the gas station the low fuel light dings and comes on. Shortly after the low fuel light comes on, the service engine light comes on. This was only happening for the first 50 miles or so after I fill up, but is way worse now. I have tried replacing the gas cap, but that didn't help. It is to the point now that the low fuel light and service engine light comes on during my current tank of gas and the gas gauge isn't working correctly either. Now, I either have a full tank of gas or no gas according to my gas gauge. This issue is driving me nuts now and the dinging scares me to death everything even though I know it is going to happen. Not to mention that when the service engine light is on, my remote start won't work.

Please help!!! I'm not sure what to do.

Stan45

Re: 2006 Malibu Low Fuel Light then Check Engine Light

Unread post by Stan45 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:07 pm

This is a common problem with a faulty fuel level sensor. It is located in the fuel tank, on the fuel pump. This is what turns on the low fuel light and causes the gauge to be irratic. A problem in that sensor will also cause a check engine light. After repairs, the codes will need to be cleared form the computer.

Tom

Re: 2006 Malibu Low Fuel Light then Check Engine Light

Unread post by Tom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:42 am

Had the same exact problem on my 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo. They replaced the fuel level sensor in the gas tank, now my gauge works fine and the engine light is off. Yes, the mechanic had to clear the codes with a scanner.