3.1 overheat issue

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
snoddy

3.1 overheat issue

Unread post by snoddy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

i have changed thermostat, heat sensor, radiator cap and still gauge wants to move over to hot while blowing in cold air, then after a few minutes it will go back to normal and blow hot air. I've seen so many options for the problem, which consist of fan relays or delays etc...the intake manifold gasket was replaced approx 3 years ago, do not see any signs of leakage, water pump doesn't make any noise....what is the problem? also, if i continue driving, am i damaging the engine?

Meccboy

Re: 3.1 overheat issue

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:52 am

The symptoms you are describing with the temp gauge, and the heat from the heater coming and going, is a telltale sign of air in the cooling system.
It is possible that the replacement of the thermostat or the temperature sensor fixed the original problem, but you have air in the system, so it seems to be the same condition. These engines can be hard to bleed air.
If this is not the case, them you may have the intake manifold gaskets leaking internally, or a headgasket problem.
I would suggest removing the spark plugs and look for signs of burning coolant. This would indicate a headgasket problem.

snoddy

Unread post by snoddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 pm

if I continue driving the car until I'm able to fix the real problem, am I doing any unjustice to the engine?

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 pm

If you are overheating, then yes you are doing damage to the engine everytime it overheats.