2000 Chevy Cavalier dies with no warning

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Singz4J

2000 Chevy Cavalier dies with no warning

Unread post by Singz4J » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier. Over the summer it started dying for no apparent reason when driving, i.e. drove it to work (40+miles one way) with no problems, on the way home it just died in the middle of the northway. Seems to be driving fine, then the engine just seems to be getting no gas, stepping down on peddle does nothing, all electrical systems seem to still be working. Get it over to the side of the road and initially it would start right back up and be fine. This happened two or three times. After a few months of no problem it started to do it again, now when it stops you have to wait 5-10 minutes, then it will start up and go. Again, a few months go by and when it stops it has to sit for 30-40 minutes before it wants to start up again and it only goes 2-3 miles before dying again. No codes on anything. we replaced the fuel filter and it ran 10 miles or so before dying again. REALLY frustrated!! Don't have a lot of money to put into this and am hoping someone can give advice. Thanks.

Donnfol

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier dies with no warning

Unread post by Donnfol » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Sounds like a bad fuel pump.
Wonder if the filter was plugged with particles from the fuel pump.
Would need to have a gauge on it when it is not starting to be sure, or spray some starter fluid down the throat to see if that gets it to start.

wildman

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier dies with no warning

Unread post by wildman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Be very careful spraying into the intake hose because a small backfire can cause major problems in the long-run. I would suggest having something to smother a fire out handy and using short sprays while cranking if attempted.

But I would also check for build-up in the intake, which is common if the motor isn't run hard every so often IMHO. Spraying some cleaner might help while it's running, but with caution. Something else you can do for build-up is to get some sea-foam (or similar product) and put it into the intake while it's running- it's not flammable (I have never got one to plume up while using). It's best if you make it stall because it fumes up some. Best way though, is to pull a vacuum line and let it pull the fluid through (from the cap or container) till it stalls itself out.

If carb cleaner or seafoam works, it's build-up. Fuel filter and pump problems are common, but I went off tangent a little with the response lol'ol Check the fuel and air filters because it most likely needs replaced anyways.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free