2004 Chevy Malibu runs Really Bad Check Engine Light

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Kevin

2004 Chevy Malibu runs Really Bad Check Engine Light

Unread post by Kevin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Problem with my 2004 Chevy Malibu 2.2L
Check Engine Misfire
Lube Jobs Replace oil and oil filter, replace air filter, replace tires, replace head light
Replace the ignition coil pack, spark plugs, Plug wires(boots), fuel pump, and fuel filter. And tried cleaning out the converter.

My Question is what is the problem when i start the car it shakes and has a hard time picking up speed? I did a test and it said a misfire. So i replace the plug, plug wire, ignition coil pack. I started the car and it still shook but not as bad. Then i replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Then i took it for a test run. The car reach a max speed of 45mph. But it still shakes and has a hard time picking up speed. So i don't know what the problem is. Later i took it for another test run and this time the car only went 10mph and it started to smoke inside the ride. It also had a bad smell inside. So Thanks for your time and hope to get a response.

BART

Re: 2004 Chevy Malibu runs Really Bad Check Engine Light

Unread post by BART » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 pm

A few possibilities.Sounds like the car is running only 2 cylinders. The ignition control module is a common cause for this. Need to find out what cylinders are misfiring. You can do this by removing the coil assembly, and install 4 old plug wires between the coils and the cylinders. Then use a grounded test lihgt to cancel each cylinder. The ones that do cancel and make it run worse or die- these were firing and are OK. If 1 or more do not cancel, they were not firing to begin with- and that is the cylinder(s) that have a problem. Check for spark coming out of that cylinder plug wire. If no spark, then sounds like ignition module.
Bad injectors will also do this, but not as commom.
The engine timing may have jumped. Need to do a compression check on all cylinders to make sure they are all close readings to each other.

protech

Re: 2004 Chevy Malibu runs Really Bad Check Engine Light

Unread post by protech » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Have seen valve problems on these engines. The valves in the cylinder head get carbon build up on them and they end up sticking in the valve guide. This causes a very poor running condition or no start. A compression test would tell if there is timing/valve problem. Usually you have to replace the cylinder head for this problem.