2003 Impala that starts intermittently

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
FrustratedImpalaGuy

2003 Impala that starts intermittently

Unread post by FrustratedImpalaGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:16 pm

We have a 2003 Chevy Impala that always starts in the morning. Later in the day it has problems starting at all. :(

When it won't start, the security light comes on, then the battery light comes on and we hear a clicking noise coming from the middle of the dash and the right side of the dash fuse box. If it does start up, the security light flashes alternating with the battery light. Plus, the interior and exterior lights flash too. It's very strange.

I have read online that it's a "passlock" problem, so we turn the key to ON and let it sit for 20 minutes, turn it off for 2 minutes and sometimes it will start. Sometimes we try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. But, usually we have to let it sit still overnight until it will always start in the morning.

We're going crazy with this problem, so do any of you expert GM mechanics know what we can do for this? I would be happy to give a donation if you can come up with a definite solution. Thanks in advance. :)

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 2003 Impala that starts intermittently

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:26 am

If this were just a starting problem with the security light coming on when it won't start, and leaving the key on for a few minutes let it start, then yes i would say it were a security problem.
But, the battery light and the clicking tells me this is a low voltage problem.
I would suspect an ignition switch problem. The ignition switch feeds power to many of the systems. Clicking is a definate sign of low voltage, since a relay cannot operate correctly with low voltage.
Another possibility is a bad Body Control Module(BCM).
May sound silly, but make sure the battery cables are tight. Try to tighten them a little more. If the lug in the battery seems to be turning or pulling out of the battery, then you have a bad battey.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

freddy

Re: 2003 Impala that starts intermittently

Unread post by freddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 am

Check what the voltage is at sevral of the fuses in that right side fuse box. If the voltage goiing in from ignition switch is good- near battery voltage, but coming out is lower, then you have an internal problem in the fuse box. Have seen a few like this. Not just in that box, but others, left box, under hood, etc. Seen it on cars and trucks.

carlitos713

2006 Impala gear shift lever is loose/won't come out of park

Unread post by carlitos713 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:48 pm

2006 impala 3.5l LT

gear shifter is on the steering column and it's completely loose, as in i can move it from the park position to drive, reverse, 1,2,3 yet the car stays in Park and the feel of it is loose.

then the battery died, got a jump, but nothing changed, could these be related?

I've read on many how there levers wont move, but i can move mine and it's still stuck on park

trying to find out what it could be before i have to get it towed to a mechanic.

thanks

protech

Re: 2006 Impala gear shift lever is loose/won't come out of park

Unread post by protech » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:47 pm

The shifter cable has either broken or come loose off the transmission. That is why the shift lever will move, but it won't change any gears. This will probably require the attention of a trained technican, if the cable needs replaced. You can look at the top of the transmission and see if the cable popped off and if so, you can push it back on easily. If it's not off at the transmission, it is most likely broken and will need replaced. Usually they don't come off up under the steering column, but you should check that too.