2003 Malibu won't start

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
chickaboom24

2003 Malibu won't start

Unread post by chickaboom24 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 am

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu that won't start, but is turning over. If I try to start it and give it some gas, the car stays 'on' and 'runs' until the second I take my foot off the gas.

This happened a few months ago, but we just used a different set of our keys and the car started fine--none of our keys are working now.

We tried the anti-theft reset by putting our key in the on position for 10 mins---this didn't work.
The fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago.

Any help would be appreciated!

MW

Re: 2003 Malibu won't start

Unread post by MW » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

What engine size in the Malibu?
Is it the 4 or 6 cylinder.
Is the check engine light on when it is running with your foot on the gas.

chickaboom24

Unread post by chickaboom24 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:26 am

It's a V6 engine and no, the check engine light does not come on while the gas is running.

Thanks for your reply!

MW

Unread post by MW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Does not sound like a theft system problem. Holding the gas to keep it running would have no affect. It would not run at all if a theft problem.
Possibly low fuel pressure, major vacuum leak, faulty MAF sensor, or Throttle Position sensor.

Tom

Unread post by Tom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

[quote="MW"]Does not sound like a theft system problem. Holding the gas to keep it running would have no affect. It would not run at all if a theft problem.
Possibly low fuel pressure, major vacuum leak, faulty MAF sensor, or Throttle Position sensor.[/quote]
Agreed. Theft problem would die in a second, wheather you were pumping the pedal or not.
Check that fuel presure.
Check a vacuum leak.